Bash Guard

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Steveeung

Bash Guard

Post by Steveeung »

Well I ordered and fitted this new SW Motech bash guard on the LC. "Why?!" I hear you say, or "buy a GS!" Well, I love the new LC but I have to travel down a track to get to my place (no I don't own a lot of land, it's a 'right of way') and in any case noticed even with the crud catcher, the country roads round our location throw up a few stones and mark the underneath of the engine casing. It's quite light and I actually think it looks OK (see pics). However, it makes the bike sound and feel like an old RT (growly and lots of vibrations through the hands). This may be bad fitting or may be a product problem. Anyone else tried this (I know, you're probably not daft enough to want to) and been able to get it sorted?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Steveeung on Sun May 03, 2015 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
guest2360

Re: Bash Guard

Post by guest2360 »

Looks like a nice bit of kit, and it cost you ?
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Thanks.  Yours looks better finished than the one on their site. That's a good lump of cash though.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

I know and bottom line is if I can fix the noise/vibration I'm ok with it but if not the 'buyer's regret' will be severe. I guess water cooled GS people will have experience of how these things affect noise/vibration...?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would not think it would have any effect on noise or vibration.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Well it's really quite bad and I took it off (leaving the three fixing brackets still attached) and all goes back to normal. It's as if it's acting as a sound (and vibration) box that shoves all the noise up the fork cavity. Will have to get my thinking cap on re possible rubber washers for the vibration and sound deadening material..... or just send it back. A bit frustrating. If I had more time, or retired it would be a good little challenge to get my teeth into. Hmmm
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Very odd.  When you think its much like the GS one, if not just about a clone of it. 
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I would get back to SW-Motech explain your case maybe there's a solution or something either in the fitting or the part, you never know. It is a nice bit of kit though. What is strange is the engine is the same as the GS so why doesn't it work? Not being technically minded I am sure there will be be the "gurus" on the site who will enlighten me lol But, how can a respected manufacturer of the after market accessories be allowed to sell something that could effect the design and safety of the machine.

i hope there is a good conclusion to this as I quite like it and I have lots of tracks that I otherwise avoid, best of luck :)
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Thanks will keep you posted! I've added an attempted photo of the three brackets with the actual plate removed in case anyone is interested, the fittings look and feel well made and sound.
Attachments
image.jpg
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Dealer deinstalled and reinstalled but same problem so it's either badly designed or faulty (Matt at North Oxford has been great about this). BS Motorparts have been really supportive (distributor) and offered to replace but SW Motech said it was a problem for the dealer re poor fitting or I should take it up with the retailer. It's was a trainee who replied to my mail in a rather uniterested and facetious way When I asked for a response from his manager he replied saying manager aware but he could not tell him what to do  :not:
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

I'd be inclined to  let them have another go at sorting it out  with a re-fit and if still no good - get your money back....... ::)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

You mean a refit using a replacement item?
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Steveeung wrote: You mean a refit using a replacement item?
That make sense, if the problem persists and your unhappy with the `product' then you have consumer `rights' and get a refund  as its unfit for purpose,  you have then provided them the opportunity to resolve the issue  ...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Steve, I fitted one after the 600 mile service and now have 3200 miles on the clock. I can't say I've noticed the problems you've described unfortunately. Craig