Cruise control

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2368

Cruise control

Post by guest2368 »

Hi guys,

Has anyone any idea if cruise control and be retrofitted to the RTLC?

John
guest2360

Re: Cruise control

Post by guest2360 »

According to the accessory list on the BMW site it is possible to retrofit cruise control.  Its going to expensive for sure as the left hand multi switch  alone is nearly £300.00.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: According to the accessory list on the BMW site it is possible to retrofit cruise control.  Its going to expensive for sure as the left hand multi switch  alone is nearly £300.00.

For £300 you can have mine - I never use it...

;) ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote:

What about indicators, lights, horn, menu selector, daylight running lights, hazard switch, screen adjustment, all in the same overcomplicated lump.  And they wonder why they sometimes fail.
;) ;)
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

richardbd wrote:

;) ;)
You can't have mine, but I have never used mine either. I often look at it when on the N and A but just never felt the urge to use it.  >:D  Need to feel the throttle working
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Everybody who has but have never used it.  Next time you have some serious miles to do on motorway type roads, try it.  And of course it gives you option of scratching with your right hand.   
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I find it very useful through roadworks. On Sunday I had to use the M54 through the roadworks. The traffic was quiet but it's 50mph limit eastbound and 40mph westbound, complete with average speed cameras. I found it extremely useful in maintaining the speed at the limit and it allowed me to stretch the right hand.
A very useful addition when used in the right place.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

+1 Agree. In the right place very useful especially on long runs. Gives the beer hand a rest.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I may have to spend some time up and down the A9 in the next year or so.  With the average speed cameras all over the road now, I think it may be of some benefit to me and make the ride a bit easier.  Looking at the parts list it looks about £500 for parts, plus fitting, reset etc...  I'll have a chat with my dealer next month.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

You could go for a throttle lock.

http://www.omni-cruise.com

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-QUALITY- ... 5d402c99af

There are cheap plastic versions of this which I think are nasty. I bought one of these for my Multistrada. Its really nicely made and the clever bit is the throttle friction is adjustable. The trick is to have only just enough friction to stop the throttle moving on its own but not so much that you cannot move it yourself if you need to.
It maintains a constant throttle position not a speed but it works. In practice it quite easy to make fine throttle adjustments with it on. Very easy to override. Cheaper than having a proper one retro-fitted.
Last edited by Levisp on Mon May 04, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

I use it all the time and love it. Great for giving the hands a break and stretch :-)
marc.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

+1
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Don't need one, I don't even use the cruise control on the bike, but very useful to know about the omnincruise control, very neat. 8)
Chad

Post by Chad »

I only use mine on the Motorways/autobahns from Rotterdam to Heidleberg. However, on my last RT the cruise kept tripping out as soon as I engaged it. I wasn't sure wether it was a fault or wether it just wasn't supposed to be used at very high autobahn speeds. (130-135mph). It is useful, especially when your lighting your pipe or pouring yourself a coffee from your flask.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

I would never selected cruise control as an individual extra.  Cruise control on a motorcycle?  Nahhhhhh!!!

However, mine came as part of the SE package and I must say I do fine it useful on occasions.  I try to avoid tedious motorway routes but, where there is not choice, cruise control is great.  The same applied to heated seats - I would never have selected them but there have been days when they have been nice to have.