Painted RT Face

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Kickten Nutz

Painted RT Face

Post by Kickten Nutz »

I picked up my new RT last month but before leaving the dealership, I had the two front panels sent off to be painted to match the body. I know the question of 'what would it look like' has been brought up before so I hope these pics will help those of you who are considering doing this. Although I took them in the sunlight, I must say that the bike looks even better when viewed in person. Even the mechanics at the dealership were commenting on how much better it made her look. The dealership didn't charge me any labor fee to remove and reinstall them but the paint job cost me about $250.00. I then had a clear film installed over the panels and along a portion of both the side panels (Ziebart here in the U.S.) to prevent damage from bugs/rocks which cost another $120.00 but comes with a lifetime guarantee. Hope you like. 
Attachments
IMG_2577.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2575.JPG
IMG_2574.JPG
stelyn

Re: Painted RT Face

Post by stelyn »

Hi,  nice looking  RT ,  enjoy both your new `toy' and the Forum ..... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Definitely an improvement over the original job.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

I agree, money well spent. I think that looks much better!
Pope

Post by Pope »

Yes, I think that looks proper nice.. 8)
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

It does look good - but imagine how much faster it would be if you'd painted it grey...

[size=78%] :enjoying: :kacsint2: :enjoying: :kacsint2: :enjoying: [size=78%]
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

But Its already Grey,  ( grey primer that is )  underneath that nice Blue !!............ :enjoying:  :whistle:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

stelyn wrote: But Its already Grey,  ( grey primer that is )  underneath that nice Blue !!............ :enjoying: :whistle:
Actually that grey is white, its referred to as "body in white" prior to colour being added.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Help needed! I'm sure it's me having a senior moment, but what has been painted exactly? My fairing is already colour coded. There's no grey anywhere- just cheap black plastics on the side! I feel like the fat kid that doesn't get the joke:-(
kiki

Post by kiki »

Chad wrote: Help needed! I'm sure it's me having a senior moment, but what has been painted exactly? My fairing is already colour coded. There's no grey anywhere- just cheap black plastics on the side! I feel like the fat kid that doesn't get the joke:-(
The plastic that surrounds the headlamp on the fairing upper is a medium gray (or at least it is here in Canada). He had it painted to match the blue on the lowers.
Last edited by kiki on Tue May 12, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Thanks Kiki- I wasn't aware those sections where grey on some models.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Same as Chad here.
I just couldn't see what everyone was talking about.
But when I went into my local dealer I saw a new Blue RT with the grey panels.
My 2014 Ebony has colour matched panels instead of the grey.
I must admit the "all blue" looks a lot better than the blue/grey.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

stelyn wrote: But Its already Grey,  ( grey primer that is )  underneath that nice Blue !!............ :enjoying: :whistle:
I think it started around Stelyn going about the primer being grey under the main body paintwork. Me being the annal retentive and sometimes annoyingly, corrected him saying its white. As all bikes and cars (big manufacturers) if I am not mistaken all go through the priming stage referred to on the production line as, yeh you guessed it body in white. A bit like lady in red, or was it the blue boy, hang on the nurse has just entered I hate needles. :))
Chad

Post by Chad »

Coincidentally Coopers have an LC in that as the grey front panels. The bike is in that electric metallic blue with lots of decals on the fairing & panniers. It looked ok to me with the grey panels, but I'm not sure about all the decals.. I should have looked to see what year the bike was:-/ I assumed it was new as it had chrome front pipes (not BMW brown)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I do like the look of the Original paintwork, unfortunately, not struck on the bike as a whole.