Locking the Nav5 to the RT...

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
guest2360

Re: Locking the Nav5 to the RT...

Post by guest2360 »

Planning to email Wunderlich just to see if our eyes are deceiving us......  or whether it really is that easy to defeat.
The answer will probably be they had the worlds strongest man attempt to rip it off and he couldn't.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

:alas:
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Wunderlich came back to clarify the solution to the exposed lower nut which looks vulnerable.  Please be sat down, I wouldn't want the brilliance of this to make you giddy.  The answer is: "The security kit is mounted with 3 screws which are additionally fixed with a "screw-glue" which makes it way harder to undo them.".  There you go. 

Joking apart, I guess it makes it less likely for the casual passing miscreant to lift your satnav, but anyone who just happens to have a spanner about their person could still have your Nav V away pretty easily, if not quite as quickly.  I guess it's okay for filling stations etc, where the short extra time it takes would mean that you were back near the bike.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

So if you / your dealer need access to anything under the instrument cover then getting it off is going to be a problem. Loving the design concept.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I nominate this as the first and worst bit of RT crap in 2017.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

+1
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

:)) just been onto their webpage, looks like a Klingon Bird of pray has nested on the dashboard, what were they thinking of... :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
KSBMWRider

Post by KSBMWRider »

There is an easy and FREE way to keep your Nav from being easily removed.

Just remove the pushbutton!

This is a little more difficult than it appears, but I will explain.
Remove the windshield (4 torx screws) and the two torx screws that hold on the cover panel above the Nav. do this carefully as to not damage the Nav button or the mounting tabs on the plastic cover panel. You will then have access to the Nav pushbutton.

There is a plastic spur on the button that keeps it from falling out of it's mount. Push it in to remove the button and file or shave down the spur so that it no longer will keep the button in place.

Now you can slide the button in and out and keep it in the lockable compartment on the RT fairing. Buy a suitable small black rubber stopper or PVC tubing cap at a hardware store and insert it into the button shaft hole.  Shave down the two opposite sides to make if fit better and look like the original Nav button. 

Alternative:
Leave the plastic spur intact and fabricate your own "pusher" shaft from a piece of plastic and store it in the locked glove compartment along with the NAV cover plate.

Save the original button so that you can return the bike to 100% stock by simply pushing the button back in through the open hole - it will slide in and lock in again and function just like it did when new.

The button shaft is quite long and gets rather thin at the point where it engages the release on the Nav Mount. So you would need a very thin screwdriver and since you can't see the release location, know exactly where to put it in order to release the lock.

Certainly, a dedicated thief will stop at nothing to get the Nav if they really want it but this makes it a great deal more difficult to remove since you have the "Key" (Button) located somewhere else.

If you mess it up, a new button is only a 8 bucks from BMW.

Works for me... and it's free!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The two plastic teeth that are perfectly good for holding the Nav in place are no match for anybody who grabs it and gives it a good pull from either side.  Instead of keeping the release button in the locker...........
Out of sight, out of mind.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

RTman10 wrote: The two plastic teeth that are perfectly good for holding the Nav in place are no match for anybody who grabs it and gives it a good pull from either side.  Instead of keeping the release button in the locker...........
Out of sight, out of mind.
This.

The body of the Nav is a lot stronger than the mount that holds it. A decent pry tool and I would expect the mount to break without any meaningful damage to the Nav.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Agree with all those who had argued that the only 100% safe way to prevent the GPS from theft is to not leave it on the bike at all. Have now used my locking system for two seasons and it has at least let me to leave the GPS on the bike when fueling or during other breaks. Have also seen other and more sophisticated systems like those using the solenoid from the central locking and all serve their purpose and they unfortunately also leave the GPS very visibly.
Had nothing better to do = led to following modification
GPS locked with barrel lock
[attach=1]
Locked and hidden behind lid, hmm
[attach=2]
Out of sight, out of mind?
Attachments
DSC_0573 (3).JPG
DSC_0571 (3).JPG
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Nav on and the lid at the same time, how?  That's only possible on the 1600.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

RTman10 wrote: Nav on and the lid at the same time, how?  That's only possible on the 1600.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are more than likely using Velcro strips to hold the cover onto the sat nav.

Watch this space for his answer, if not already posted.
GJ-MOTO
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Could even be using Balancing Beads that have been turned into Bluetac by the Ultraseal .
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote: Could even be using Balancing Beads that have been turned into Bluetac by the Ultraseal .
not
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.