Locking the Nav5 to the RT...

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Locking the Nav5 to the RT...

Post by smileymiley »

smileymiley wrote: not
Should've had a smiley !!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Oops-a-daisy, thanks that’s real thinking outside the box!
Quote; Nav on and the lid at the same time, how?
Easy peasy, just use the BMW original blanking cover
[attachimg=1]
and something else you can find in your garage, and then just..
[attachimg=2]
;)
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Would suggest you try that.  The cover will only connect directly into the cradle as you know.  On the 1600 it fits into the plastic surround and totally covers the GPS.  On the RT sticking anything into the front if it will only make it more conspicuous.
There is only one sure way to protect it when your off the bike.  Take it with you.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Still agree with all you have written including that the only one sure way to protect it when you are off the bike is to take it with you.
For my part I will still, now and then, leave the GPS locked and now also out of sight on the bike as my cover seems to be different as it fits on and also totally surrounds and cover the GPS
[attachimg=1]
Roger and out (at least I)
Attachments
5.JPG
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have never seen one like that.  Are there any numbers on the back of it.  It it the only one that came with the bike?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I have never seen one like that.  Are there any numbers on the back of it.  It it the only one that came with the bike?

The ones that came with my RT and GS aren't like that at all...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Agreed.  I can't find it anywhere.  Would be a useful bit of kit though if it fits in both places.  Maybe it's a Sweden only issue.  The Nav 2 and 3 had a cover that attached to them but they didn't come with a bag. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Sorry if I have misled some of you?!
There is no part No on the back of this kit and I had thought that the photos and my hints like “Had nothing better to do = led to following modification” and “just use the BMW original blanking cover and something else you can find in your garage and just MacGyver it” were enough to show this DIY modification. Perhaps results of my linguistic shortcomings.
This kit is made of two parts, a plastic box to a Vernier Caliper and the original BMW blanking cover. Cut and resize one half of the box to fit to the GPS and cut and reshape the BMW cover and attach this as a front to your new DIY kit. No Velcro strips or Balancing Beans are needed if you have made your kit with sufficient accuracy, just to push the cover on the GPS and it will stuck in the narrow gap between the GPS and the dash.
Shame on me :-[
Have I been clear enough this time?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Allt är klart nu. Tack!😉👍
Last edited by Steve F on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And you can still fit it onto the cradle or do you remove your modification to do that.  Neat looking job though.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

I suppose you mean still fit it onto the cradle without the Nav (RTman10) and in that case is the correct answer No, of course not.
My friendly intention to post this info was not to try to convince anyone who not at all likes the idea to leave the GPS unattended on the bike but to provide a simple additional DIY hint to those who of some reason have done different modifications as their own lock solutions.
..and thanks to you Steve F ;)
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I like the look of the neat solution that you have made.
I only have one problem with it, you need to keep it somewhere whilst riding. So, at the fuel stop (for instance) you have to get this cover out of your pocket or glove box, then cover the sat nav.
If you have to remove the cover from "somewhere" why not dispense with the cover and put the nav either in your pocket or glove box?
Apart from that great stuff.
:)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Quite.  And you have to buy another one to protect the cradle when it's off. 
The quicker they adapt the 1600 design for the RT the better. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

As someone mentioned; Life would be pretty humdrum if we all had the same perspective
I keep the cover in the extra storing compartment I have and buy the small Garmin cover for 5€ since I do not intend to wait or pay for a possible upgrade if there will be any
[attach=1]
Attachments
DSC_0576.JPG
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

SweRT wrote: As someone mentioned; Life would be pretty humdrum if we all had the same perspective
I keep the cover in the extra storing compartment I have and buy the small Garmin cover for 5€ since I do not intend to wait or pay for a possible upgrade if there will be any
[attach=1]

WHAT - you removed a speaker, just to have a place to keep your satnav cover?

This thread just keeps on getting crazier...

;) ;)