Heated Seat Not Working

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
markradtke17

Heated Seat Not Working

Post by markradtke17 »

Picked up my new 2015 RTLC about two weeks ago. Went to activate the seat and grip heaters on the last ride as it was a bit cool. Grip heaters were fine but no heat in the seat?

Spoke with my dealer and they were happy to pick up the bike and schedule a diagnosis/repair. They will be returning to me in a few days.....hopefully.

As soon as I know what they find, I will let everyone know, in case you experience a similar situation.

I disconnected and then re-connected the plug fitting under the seat to make sure the connection was good and all seemed fine there.
2015 BMW R 1200 RT
guest2360

Re: Heated Seat Not Working

Post by guest2360 »

Did you get the red bars come up on the dash or did nothing happen. Also did you try the pillion one to see if that worked?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

In my experience, you have to be patient with the seats.  They will get warm (even hot!) but given that your strides are way more insulated than your gloves, it's a while before you notice.

RTMan's question is the right one - does the dash suggest that the seat heating is working?
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hi Mark I am not a technical guru, but when you switched on did you get the seat on the display with a series of vertical series of bars going from left to right and the scroll the level of heat needed? Did you check your fuses?
These may seem obvious but sometimes in the panic of having paid out so much money for a bike and it not working as we expect all the brain cells seem to malfunction. Hope it helps and best of luck with the results. It's difficult to understand how something like that would have gone unnoticed in the Quality checks. I have done lots of work for BMW and Rolls Royce Motorcars and their check border on the annal retentive.

markradtke17

Post by markradtke17 »

Well...here were the findings reported by my dealer.....

A) they agreed that there was no heat to the seat
B) they connected the bike to the diagnostics and had the tech re-program the heated seat function

They delivered the bike yesterday and I had the opportunity to take it for a test ride after work. (About 45 degrees last evening so the conditions were right for a little heated seat)

It was nice to feel the warmth! Not a dramatic heat or as fast as the grips.....but definitely noticeable.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments along the way. Great to have everything working as intended!

Mark
2015 BMW R 1200 RT
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

That's great news all is working, all is functioning and all is well, next