Wales 3 day mini tour

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
steve.sharkey

Wales 3 day mini tour

Post by steve.sharkey »

Just back from the 3 day mini tour (my wife's birthday treat!) great fun, maps and pics when I'm home on wifi but there was a section with single track, loose gravel/grass on the centre line and hairpins & very steep sections, sheer drops with no barriers... I would like to apologise to the 2 R1200GS riders coming the other way, stood up on their pegs pretending to be McGregor & Boreman... Seeing an RT coming the other way 2 up must have ruined their fantasy somewhat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steve.sharkey

Re: Wales 3 day mini tour

Post by steve.sharkey »

ImageImageImage

steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Way to go Steve your the man. Yeah I can imagine their faces when they meet the Transformer coming up the oh so difficult track  :beee: As I mentioned in a previous thread I do like green laning, but not sure of this bikes ability in taking some of the rough stuff? Have you fitted a bash plate to your bike?

I know all those roads pretty well and I think you spoilt your good lady with your route choice, nice one.
Did I tell you I was a member of the Guard of Honour on the Investiture of Wales, maybe another time. Those pics have made me feel homesick, boo hoo :jedi:
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

No bash plate... Good wash & inspect tonight! I slept so well. Amazing what extended periods of alertness can do for you when you relax. It was a great trip and when you're close to such a "playground" its amazing what you can fit in to just 3 days. The wife was wondering if maybe our trip to Spa for the GTs might be done by bike rather than car... She also said "it might be interesting to see what a Norway route could look like..." Damn she can't enjoy this too much - several roads in Wales I was thinking: I'd REALLY enjoy this without a passenger!
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Good photos Steve, glad it went OK...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

steve.sharkey wrote: No bash plate... Good wash & inspect tonight! I slept so well. Amazing what extended periods of alertness can do for you when you relax. It was a great trip and when you're close to such a "playground" its amazing what you can fit in to just 3 days. The wife was wondering if maybe our trip to Spa for the GTs might be done by bike rather than car... She also said "it might be interesting to see what a Norway route could look like..." Damn she can't enjoy this too much - several roads in Wales I was thinking: I'd REALLY enjoy this without a passenger!
Lol yeah we need to be careful what we wish for, but she may have the bug already nowhappy my missus is a decent rider on or off roads. However, will she ride on the back mmm! No. I have tried to tempt her into a ride down to the south of France, but keeps making excuses. The problem is she may one day say yes and I will never ride solo again :beee: so careful what we wish for I think.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Very cool.Thanks for sharing!
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Sorry .... Main thing I noticed was "65.8" to the gallon ...  :silence:
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

That is incredible and two up loaded, wow! I thought I was riding on the upper limit of 56-58mpg or 90-93kph that is truly exceptional. I must admit I didn't notice it until mentioned now by staying upright long with the Dynamic setting so assume you was not hanging about then lol
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking forward to a 4 Day Tour in Wales.

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hey David what are all the black dots? They must be flocks of sheep in excess of a 1000  :))  looks a decent route but anywhere in Wales on a motorcycle is great. Bottom of your map a little town called Maesteg, I was born and raised there. There are some challenging mountain rides in all of those areas:
Brecon to Merthyr Tydfil
Brecon to Port Talbot via the Rhigos
Brecon to Llandovery (bikers used to use it a lot, a bit like Matlock Bath, until the police started using helicopters to stop the speeding, bloody spoil sports happy
Brecon to Carmarthen
I use Brecon as the start point as it's an interesting and scenic venue for a start point. The simple truth is anywhere in mid Wales would be a good ride.
Hope you have a great time.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Not been into the Brecon Beacons/Black Mountains before, got some of the ideas for the routes out of The AA Bikers Britain Guide, http://shop.theaa.com/store/home/bikersbritain.

Looks like we have got some of your suggested routes covered, thanks.

We are staying at The Tanners Arms http://www.tannersarmspub.com/ in Defynnog near Brecon for 2 nights, before heading North.
Last edited by David. on Wed May 20, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Not been into the Brecon Beacons/Black Mountains before, got some of the ideas for the routes out of The AA Bikers Britain Guide, http://shop.theaa.com/store/home/bikersbritain.
Then David to coin a phrase 'you ain't lived yet' You would not not be disappointed, but choose your time carefully, as there are lots of foreign tourists in the peak summer. Not withstanding the Brecon Jaz Festival which has massive attendance 7/8/9 August.

The west coast is really good then winding inland through Machynlleth (that name always surprises me as there is no th in the Welsh language, but 2 x d I.e. dd equals th, but the town is a Welsh town in a Welsh stronghold, it's always odd to me). By the way I am from the south so Anglosized. But you won't go far wrong down through Newtown, it's all wonderful free riding, lucky bugger I wanna come  :-*

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This was a Tour we did in 2013, including some of the West Coast.