Wales 3 day mini tour

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Wales 3 day mini tour

Post by David. »

Completed our 4 Day Trip to Wales yesterday.

Day 1 was a bit dull until we got to Newton, the A483 South to Builth Wells was excellent.
Day 2 started off wet, we took some advice from our hosts at the B&B & headed to Llandovery, then on some "White Roads" to Llyn Brianne.
The road surface wasn't good, but the views were worth the ride.
Headed across to Hay-on-Wye, then more "White Roads" as recommended by our Hosts towards Abergavenny, not very good at all.
From Adergavenny, we went through Blaenavon & Pontypool to Aberfan to visit the Memorial Garden.
The A470 back to Brecon through the National Park was brilliant, great scenery & the type of road I prefer to ride on.
Day 3 was as planned, a fantastic ride North on a variety of different types of roads with some fantastic scenery.
Day 4 started off with a ride through the Pass of Llanberis to Betws-y-Coed, before heading North through the Vale of Conwy. After that, it was route 1 home.

Whilst speaking to a Local Plod who was dealing with an RTA (cars only), when asked if we needed to keep an eye out for his colleagues, the reply was there have been some "Budget Cuts", presumably, this means less Mobile Speed Cameras etc.
Last edited by David. on Mon May 25, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

I hasten to add I can get it lower than 60+mpg but having my passenger on board dictates smoother/slower riding, I still get good economy because you can't accelerate too long cos the speed gathers so quickly then the bike coasts (at 144mpg or so) so very well. We were a bit quicker on the way back and averaged 61.2 mpg for the whole journey. Carrying a pillion is really improving the smoothness of my riding which (coincidentally) is improving average pace too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

I'm contemplating a D-Day tour in September and have already looked at a Norway trip and a trip across to Ireland clockwise around, into Scotland up to Skye back through Edinburgh down through Lake District and into and back home through Wales!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk