Spot lights

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
guest2360

Re: Spot lights

Post by guest2360 »

Just a thought on the BMW spots. I don't have them on my RT but do have DRL. My 1600 Exclusive had them as did my GTL E. On the GTL they were on all the time.  On the Exclusive however which had DLR they would only work with the DLR switched off which made them a bit redundant except at night..  Bet its the same on the RT.   
Chad

Post by Chad »

I would want them on all the time to improve my visibility to others. I would only fit them if this was possible. Aestheticly I think they add to the looks of the bike, but they are very visual on the road.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Chad wrote: I really can't see screen manufactures investing anywhere near the time & money on wind tunnel testing as motorrad.

At the risk of being controversial...

I've never owned a bike that wasn't improved by the addition of the right after-market screen. 

IMHO, no major bike manufacturer spends more than sixpence-ha'penny on wind-tunnel testing for road bikes.  To be fair though, wind buffeting and noise are such personal issues, driven by things like height, upper-body length, posture, helmet choice, noise tolerance etc etc.

The most radical difference I've ever made was to my 2012 Multistrada.  The addition of a CalSci screen and some winglets from Australia transformed a noisy, hooligan of a bike in to a wonderful, ultra-rapid and ultra-quiet, all-day sport-tourer.  By way of context, I once had a 2014 MTS as a courtesy bike for a week.  The wind effects were so bad, I left it parked in the garage and did my 60 mile commute by train every day for a week - and it was mid-summer.  The wind protection was so bad that the velcro cuffs on my suit wouldn't stay closed!

My experience with the RTLC has been interesting.  I find it noisier than my (adapted) MTS - even with the addition of the comfort screen.  However, the comfort screen has definitely made a big difference to comfort and warmth because my shoulders are now out of the airflow.

Of course, I may be more susceptible to wind noise because I have the faster Callisto Grey version.  Those RTers with bikes in various shades of blue may not have the same problem to contend with...

:alas: :alas: :alas: :alas:

fmantek

Post by fmantek »

Blue,  especially San Marino,  is the new Grey.  In fact,  if you are driving in a dark and stormy night,  San Marino blue is fast as lightning,  something Calisto grey only achieves in foggy areas on the coast...
Chad

Post by Chad »

Well as my Ebony Black has been described as brown, it had better be the fastest thing on the road!! Regarding the screens, I agree that rider size etc. will have influence, but in terms of performance against the wind etc.- I feel safe in the knowledge that the standard screen is going to behave itself & cause no stability issues when going for the land speed record on the autobahns with a full load. I'm not suggesting aftermarket screens aren't safe/stable etc. but I just don't think motorrad would want the reputation Honda gained over the 'new' Pan European following the incident(s) with Police riders & the alleged stability issues. Hence I can't imagine motorrad not investing the resources on such things. That said however, the RT  LC screen is not as effective as the previous RT TC, so perhaps motorrad HAVE cut back on the wind tunnel testing!! in which my opinion may be total b#%locks:-)