Bike Dead for 6 hours -

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
stelyn

Re: Bike Dead for 6 hours - help

Post by stelyn »

Thanks Chad, getting ready to leave, at present ( and fingers crossed ) all seems okay. Thanks for your time and efforts.  Regards Steve
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Good to know just in case  :clap:
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

` The update.... :(
Well made it back to  Kent OK from France  and without the `anticipated recovery’.    On  one stop for a rest and re-fuel,  Bike started up no problem but the BC  ( information screen  temp /fuel /times ect ) was blank  !!.    Switched off and a re-started  and  the dash was back to normal ?.    Got back with no further issues .  Have since had a long conversation with my local Dealers senior technician who informed me they have had similar problems with the `K’ series Bikes ie;  being the same apparent symptons ( as detailed above ) .    But never with any of the  2012 `RT’ +  range , -  until now that is.    It is still being investigated  so may not be the cause, just suspected -  but as described to me,  appears to be  an insufficient load bearing  cable within the wiring loom / harness causing the electrical problems and lack of charge rate to the Battery and probably instigated what they assumed to have now been  apparent  false reading warning lights, and subsequent blank BC screen.  Resulting in the complete emergency mode / and or shutdown.
The long and short of it all is they want the Bike in for investigation to confirm if its the same issue with the K series and will provide a loan bike  for a couple of days, which suggests this is not going to be 10 minute fix on their diagnostics machine.    The better news was as the apparent electrical fault is  `known’  ( although I could find no traces of this issue on the Forums ) they will endeavour to sort this out under  the Warranty and if as they suspect, will change the wiring harness.  So fingers crossed.    If it transpires  it is a wiring issue I’ll post the report for info. 
Thanks to all for your efforts and support,  - thought I was going to have a longer stay in France and drink even more Wine......  ;)
Last edited by stelyn on Fri May 22, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Good news you're  back OK. Hope they find the fault because its so much better than if they don't. Lets hope you get it sorted quickly. What loan bike have they given you ?
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Levisp wrote: Good news you're  back OK. Hope they find the fault because its so much better than if they don't. Lets hope you get it sorted quickly. What loan bike have they given you ?
Hi Levisp,  its a new 2015 rt,  booked  for June ( earliest I could get  ) I think they are trying to entice me into  buying a new model,  hmmmm    :)
Last edited by stelyn on Fri May 22, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well thats nice. When you've done a few miles be interested in what you think between your model and the new one. Good and bad always interesting. If the loaner has gear assist, learn how to use it, I was very sceptical but now think its one of the best features.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I have to agree- I wasn't bothered by the gearshift pro thing but I actually enjoy using it now. The downside is that I accelerate much harder now than I ever use to just because I like the sound:-)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I know what you mean. It makes you into a bit of a hooligan. I love charging up to corners and then at the last minute close the throttle and down shift a couple of gears and then power around the bend. All great fun.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

+1 for the shifter I like most thought it a gimmick, but would find it hard to live without it now