Pirelli Angel GT

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Levisp

Pirelli Angel GT

Post by Levisp »

Got a puncture coming back from Sedan which I managed to successfully plug but decided that it was time to replace the tyres. I consider DIY plug as a get you home fix only. The Z8s were squared off and the handling had deteriorated. They lasted 5400 miles of which more than half was two up. Personally I don't think they were as good as the original Continental Road Attack 2 GT which lasted 6600 miles. I would go back to the Conti RA GT but not the Z8s. However being a bit of a tyre tart decided to try the Pirelli Angel GT. If you go to the Pirelli web site you will find that they are not approved for the 14/15 model yet. Their fitment guide shows they are under test. They are approved for the earlier R1200RT, so fitted these spec tyres, A spec rear. My first impressions are that they suit the bike. Trying to remember what the other tyres were like when new, I think these are significantly better. The bike is handling like a dream. Turn in is quick and precise. Once turned in the tyres hold the line, always felt the Z8 wanted to run wide. The ride quality over road imperfections is very good. They came joint 2rd in the 2014 Motorrad test and I can see why. Michelin PR4 GT came first but I wanted to try something different. Anyone else using Pirelli Angel GTs ?
Last edited by Levisp on Fri May 22, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Re: Pirelli Angel GT

Post by Spencert231 »

I have Z8s on 2014 LC but will probably go back to PR4 I had them on my first Tiger 800 and were great dry or wet. I would have had them on my Tiger XC but they don't do them for that bike. It would be interesting to know how the Angels go. I am sure there is a tire poll on this site somewhere probably in tires/tyres never sure how to spell it these days :))
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yes there is a tyre poll in the tyre section which DayGloDavid setup. Most folk go for what BMW put on the bike from new, so thats Z8(M), PR4 GT and RA2 GT because of that other tyres get overlooked. When I had my FJR the Pirellis transformed the bike. However I sold the bike to get the RT so I never found out how they wear. The tyre I really wanted to try were the RA2 Evo's but they do not do a GT version, so decided against it. GT version of tyres or in the case of the Pirelli A rated rear tyre, add an extra layer to the carcass construction. This makes the sidewalls stiffer to take account of the heavier bike with or without pillion and luggage. The result is the tyre keeps its designed profile when loaded and so wears better. I'm also told that in the case of a puncture the tyre will deform less compared to "normal rated" tyre on same bike, giving you a chance to stop before damaging the tyre. However Load rating of 73W is the same. I will have these worn out by the end of the Summer so will report back how they wear.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat May 23, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I see there is a thread on the BMW Luxury Touring forum, and the guys there say that the Angel GT tyre is approved for the new RT. Apparently Pirellis website is out of date. For interest I have sent them an email, see what reply I get after the bank holiday.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat May 23, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well that was quick just got a reply from Pirelli

Dear Peter
Thank you for your email
We would recommend the follwing Angel GT Specs for your Bike/Model;
Front-120/70ZR17M/CTL (58W) Angel GT-Part Code-2387600
Rear-180/55ZR17M/CTL (73W)(A) Angel GT-Part Code-2321200
The rear fitment must be the "A" spec as this is recommended.
Thanks,
Mannie
Contact Centre
Pirelli Metzeler Moto UK

So there you have another tyre to add to the mix.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Spencert231 wrote: I have Z8s on 2014 LC but will probably go back to PR4

That's my plan too...
Chad

Post by Chad »

richardbd wrote:
That's my plan too...
and mine. The continentals on the LC don't suit my riding at all.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:I have just fitted Pirelli Angel GTs and have now done 1000 miles on them and they feel brilliant. However not sure they are going to last too long. Measured back and have already lost 1 mm so at that wear rate the back will last 6000 miles maybe less.
What was the serviceable tread depth on the front & rear tyres to the TWI when new.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Depth tread front 4 mm back 7 mm. Tread wear indicator is 1 mm. So depth to TWI front 3 mm back 6mm.