08 female headlights connector needed

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
craig.dougall.1

08 female headlights connector needed

Post by craig.dougall.1 »

Hi RTers! First post here...hope it's not a total noob question:

I messed up on The install of my headlight modulator from signal dynamics. I mis- read the instructions and cut the wires too close to the block now I have to replace it. I have looked for help from BMW Canada, Kisantech,  RIsmotorsports, from connector supply Whites products,  but as yet, to no avail. I have posted this request in the BMW MOA forum and have received some great help but still unable to find a proper connector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by craig.dougall.1 on Sat May 23, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Re: 08 female headlights connector needed

Post by Levisp »

Looks like you have a problem. I very much doubt you will be able to get a female plug, so I guess you have 3 possibilities.

1) From the pics it looks like there may be sufficient wire in the plug to strip the insulation and solder an extension and then shrink wrap. This I think would be the easiest.

2) Is it possible to take the plug apart ? Probably not but could be possible.

3) If you cannot do 1 or 2 then maybe solder wire to individual spade connectors to fit the male terminals, bypassing the female plug all together. You could then join these individual wires into your wiring loom making sure you get the order right. This is not the best solution because you would have to be very careful you plug the right wire into the individual terminals, otherwise you could do some serious damage.

Please note I'm not an electrician so these are just some ideas to pass by someone more qualified than me.

Best of luck hope you get it sorted.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat May 23, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig.dougall.1

Re: 08 female headlights connector needed

Post by craig.dougall.1 »

Thanks for the suggestions! I am not a wrench (although I've been told I'm as smart as a bag of hammers) but am gaining confidence in stuff like valves, plugs, final drive fluid...so it's really frustrating sitting around in perfect weather for a week with nothing to do on it.

I received a suggestion from the MOA forum to contact Kisantech who manufacture headlight modulators...this was their reply:

We can make a 6 pin connector for you with 6 wire leads. The cost will be $29.99 plus $6.00 shipping. Let us know if you want to proceed.

Works out to around $45 Can...I'll let you know how it goes.