Neutral

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
paynes1
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Great Britain

Neutral

Post by paynes1 »

I've done about 1000 miles now on my 2014 RT that I bought earlier this year. It is proving as good a bike as I was expecting, except for one irritating thing.
It is very hard to get neutral when I stop. I end up clicking backwards and forwards between 1st and second until I get fed up and put the side stand down to shut off, then into neutral.  This is ok if I am stopping and getting off, but not so good if I just want to put the bike into neutral whilst stopped and then move off.

The problem is obviously worse when the engine is hot.

Anyone else had neutral issues? The bike is booked in for a service after I get back from my trip to Colditz/Dresden in a couple of weeks. Is it worth mentioning this to the dealer in case I need it looking at before I go?

Thanks
Steve P
chrisvh

Re: Neutral

Post by chrisvh »

Mine does something similar. I have got used to it now and it doesn't cause any problems.

smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Steve, not had your problem on my 14 RT,  I've covered nearly 8000 on mine & other than a clunk into 1st the box is pretty slick. I'd definitely get them to check it over tho.... you never know!

Cheers
Miles
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

It all depends on what you're used to...

I came to the RT from a Multistrada.  That had 10 neutrals - one between every pair of gears, in each direction.  It's problem wasn't finding neutral, it was avoiding it.

The RT only has half a neutral.  It hides between 1st and 2nd but definitely doesn't exist anywhere else - including between 2nd and 1st.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

:alas: :alas: :alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your not wrong, it has a neutral but its well hidden.  On Sunday sat in a huge traffic jam at the Eurotunnel Calais in heavy rain, at the umpteenth change from neutral to 1st and back to neutral the gear indicator on the dash went blank. Its then VERY hard to find. It stayed like that for the next 30 minutes until I was able to change up to 3rd.  Than it reappeared.  Caused by dampness apparently.
My problem was nothing though compared with a couple on a Goldwing 2 bikes ahead of me. with solid rows of cars each side of them the bike was shifting from side to side until eventually a Eurotunnel type person came across. The pillion was heard to shout, "we want to go on the ferry" 
Pope

Post by Pope »

No problems finding neutral on my 8000mile RTLC, and the rest of the gearbox is getting slicker with every mile.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
paynes1
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

Took the bike to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed that the clutch was 'binding' and will need changing.
They have asked permission from BMW to do the work under warranty. It seems that this should not be a problem but they are still waiting. Unfortunately, I've got a trip to Colditz/Dresden planned leaving on the 13th.

They have assured me that if we do not get it done before I go it 'will be fine'............ I'm not very mechanically minded so I will have to believe him but .......

I've still got BMW recovery etc but would rather not use it so it may be fingers crossed for a week.

Steve P
paynes1
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

BMW dealer has done the work on the clutch, changing plates etc.
Mentioned that when I checked the coolant reservoir it was almost empty, and that I had noticed the 'blue liquid' around the vent hole mentioned on other threads/forums - they changed the water pump too!  Did not even hesitate.

Steve P
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

Has the work made any difference?

Mine is the same, dealer is stumped and want to point them in the rightbdirection
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm sure most of them are the same. If I know I'm going to stop and want neutral I find it easier to tap it in from 2nd just before I stop.
paynes1
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: Has the work made any difference?
Mine is the same, dealer is stumped and want to point them in the rightbdirection
It has made a huge amount of difference! Finding neutral is no problem now and the gear shift is much smoother.
They also changed the water pump whilst doing the work. I happened to mention that some people were reporting a possible 'leak' ie blue liquid by the seep hole and they just changed it without my asking.
They managed to break the infamous plastic tabs on the fairing panel and replaced the panel - an expensive visit (for them).
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

paynes1 wrote: I've done about 1000 miles now on my 2014 RT that I bought earlier this year. It is proving as good a bike as I was expecting, except for one irritating thing.
It is very hard to get neutral when I stop. I end up clicking backwards and forwards between 1st and second until I get fed up and put the side stand down to shut off, then into neutral.  This is ok if I am stopping and getting off, but not so good if I just want to put the bike into neutral whilst stopped and then move off.

The problem is obviously worse when the engine is hot.

Anyone else had neutral issues? The bike is booked in for a service after I get back from my trip to Colditz/Dresden in a couple of weeks. Is it worth mentioning this to the dealer in case I need it looking at before I go?

Thanks

Yws its not uncommon.  If your'e weaing heavy boots you will lose an element of feel, what I tend to do is to get it in 2nd and gently tap down on the gear lever and it normally just leaps into neutral
Hope this helps
Bikerman1042
Steve P
Mark05RT

Post by Mark05RT »

Fortunate not to have had the problem on a BMW twin, but the Blood Bike I'm using (Honda) has a neutral hidden so well, you'd need a mountain rescue team to find it. It only gets coaxed out with a light dab from second while still rolling!
BMW R1200RT SE 2010
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Didn't Bmw say to lower oil quantity to improve shifting on 14 and up bikes?
Jim
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

T6pilot wrote: Didn't Bmw say to lower oil quantity to improve shifting on 14 and up bikes?

Not sure about this. An article about servicing a GS in the BMW magazine mentioned reducing the oil level to the mid point in the sight glass to assist gear changes. I presume this info came from BMW but who knows. I tried it and it made no difference at all. Complete waste of time. (IMHO)