LED Headlight Upgrade on RTLC

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Pope

LED Headlight Upgrade on RTLC

Post by Pope »

I've finally managed to source a decent (actually very good) LED marker, that's at least as bright as a HID bulb.

Its the new Philips LUXEON 6000K LED. And i'm very impressed with it, as i've had one on my Ducati during my recent 2000mile blast around France and Spain, where it performed brilliantly (literally). :bow

So i've now put one in my RT...

DRL's only - All taken in bright sunlight.

Low Beam LED

Low Beam and LED Aux's

+ High Beam - OEM Halogen (i'll also be changing these for LEDs soon)

And some night shots.

As you'll know, changing the Low Beam bulb is a fiddly fecker, as you have to do it my feel alone. So fitting the LED and Ballast was quite tricky, but it all went in, and only took me about 15 mins.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Spencert231

Re: LED Headlight Upgrade on RTLC

Post by Spencert231 »

Nice one Pope if there is one disappointing element with my bike it's the low beam. To me it doesn't seem to reach far enough or wide enough in comparison with either of my Triumphs. Cheers
Pope

Post by Pope »

Yes, it passed me off that we never got LED lights on the RTLC's,  And the Halogen lights are a bit shite.

But I'm very pleased with the LED marker, so I'll be upgrading the highbeams next.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Thorvald
Canada

Post by Thorvald »

Interesting!  The bulbs look good and the ballast looks nice and small.

Was the anything you had to do for the CAN Bus to be happy with the new bulbs?

Also where did you hide the ballast?

Cheers
  Tim
Royso

Post by Royso »

Looks good Pope, where did you get them from.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I was so miffed to discover my LC didn't have the angel eyes:-( if anyone has fitted these it would be interesting to see a posting..
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Looks good Pope - nice one!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Ninj

Post by Ninj »

Hi Pope. Got the LED bulb fitted ok. Any advise on clipping in the back holding spring into place and did you manage the get the back of the housing on ok.
Last edited by Ninj on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

I'm going to attempt this later this week or at the weekend, had a quick look up behind the light and not the best for access  :(
Pope

Post by Pope »

Ninj wrote: Hi Pope. Got the LED bulb fitted ok. Any advise on clipping in the back holding spring into place and did you manage the get the back of the housing on ok.

Sorry i missed your question. So i hope you got it fitted ok.
Fitting the spring was fiddly but i did it ok, and the housing cover went back easily too.
Pope

Post by Pope »

Benchmark wrote: I'm going to attempt this later this week or at the weekend, had a quick look up behind the light and not the best for access  :(

Good luck, and just be patient, it can be done and its a very worthwhile upgrade.

UPDATE: i've had a look at putting LEDs in the Highbeams also. But these look even more difficult to fit. Even having removed Audio speakers etc....bugger  :not:

Anyone managed it??
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Well that's dipped done, I actually removed the little front storage box which gave me visual of the spring clips locking area which helped. For anyone attempting you do need to connect all the cabling and insert the ballast down the side of the reflector before inserting the bulb as I just couldn't get the ballast past the bulb once it was in, but as Pope said it does all fit.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Pope wrote: UPDATE: i've had a look at putting LEDs in the Highbeams also. But these look even more difficult to fit. Even having removed Audio speakers etc....bugger  :not:
I had a look at the left one and if the right is the same I think it could be possible, might take a punt and get the bulbs in the next week or two and have a go  ;)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Benchmark wrote: Well that's dipped done, I actually removed the little front storage box which gave me visual of the spring clips locking area which helped. For anyone attempting you do need to connect all the cabling and insert the ballast down the side of the reflector before inserting the bulb as I just couldn't get the ballast past the bulb once it was in, but as Pope said it does all fit.
Re the LED wires from the resistor, how and where did you splice into the bike headlight loom. Directly into the female light connector plug?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Steve F wrote: Re the LED wires from the resistor, how and where did you splice into the bike headlight loom. Directly into the female light connector plug?
Yes the LED wiring plug connected directly into the existing connector for the bulb so no modifications to the bike wiring  :)