Crash protection

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
guest2360

Re: Crash protection

Post by guest2360 »

What they fit over or under the head protectors or are you talking scaffolding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

These:Image
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

This pic is the x-heads after hitting the ground hard then sliding for 25 feet. Fitted to a RT LC
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Top pic is a GS.  Bottom confirms they are made of plastic.  On the GS it's not possible to fit the BMW head protectors along with their crash bars so that's why someone has added the x heads instead, probably. GS crash bars do not fit the RT.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

You can't help yourself can you?
They may be plastic but do the job better than the BMW ones. Look at the pic of the crashed RT ones. See the scuff marks higher up? That's where the RT has rolled on its head. BMWs own ones would leave the head damaged.
I know it may be an alien concept to you, bit BMW parts are not always the best choice.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not quite sure about that . The main impact area is on the bottom half of the protector. What's  on the the higher parts is what's scraped off the bottom and been transferred back and up.  There seems to be no marks or damage to the underneath and higher part.  If you look at the earlier gallery pic of the BM one you will see they sit quite proud of the head and have a thick rubber strip inside and outside that is replaceable.
But if you prefer the X Heads fair enough. It's a free country.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

fatnfast wrote: The x-heads offer far more protection than the BMW ones.

I'd like to see the accident in which that proved to be true.

I'm not arguing in favour of the BMW head covers particularly - other similarly designed ones are undoubtedly just as good (and maybe cheaper) - but as far as I can tell the x-heads give extra cover to a part of the cylinder head that you'd need a laser-guided missile to damage and they're made of plastic.  Oh - and they don't look as nice either.

Other opinions are available and no doubt will be along before too long...

;) ;)
Oscar Nelsen

Post by Oscar Nelsen »

You got to accept the risk for the reward.  The tradeoff here is aesthetics versus safety of the cylinder heads.  No doubt in anyone’s mind that no guards is the best looking.  If you feel you need the Forth Bridge (gotta love that reference) then so be it. 

My choice to go with BMW’s was verified in my mind when a noob salesman was standing next to my bike and asked me when my guards were going to be installed.  Standing on the left side of the bike on its side stand, he did not notice them as not being stock. 

They will work just as well as any in a tip over, but in a crash?  Maybe or probably not but I don’t plan on finding out.  I have considered outriggers though, if there is anything left that bridge I can use.
2016 RT
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Just chuck in my two'pennorth here.  I had the BMW protectors stuck on by the dealer when it was bought a couple of weeks back.  This was in the (maybe naïve) belief that anything that caused more damage than these would withstand would most likely see the bike written off anyway by the time various bits of plastic and metal bits had hit the road.  I know that you can get all sorts of protection and climbing frames to stick all over the bike, but to me anyway that would spoil it too.  The theory is that the most likely tip over is at very low speed or stationary, my evidence being that the only times I have dropped bikes has been at junctions or on the drive at home!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sprintgull.  Logic at last.  I would love to see the rest of the bike that went down the road at 25 mph.  Wonder if the X Heads were added to the write off cheque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kellenbenz

Post by Kellenbenz »

I have been looking at these:

http://www.heed.com.pl/index.php/en/cra ... lc-2014-en

Has anyone had experience with them.....the price is sure nice.

Ron
469,902 miles on BMW motorcycles
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Considering some off road riding by any chance.  Getting to the oil filter will be a challenge. 
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Sprintgull wrote: Just chuck in my two'pennorth here.  I had the BMW protectors stuck on by the dealer when it was bought a couple of weeks back.  This was in the (maybe naïve) belief that anything that caused more damage than these would withstand would most likely see the bike written off anyway by the time various bits of plastic and metal bits had hit the road.  I know that you can get all sorts of protection and climbing frames to stick all over the bike, but to me anyway that would spoil it too.  The theory is that the most likely tip over is at very low speed or stationary, my evidence being that the only times I have dropped bikes has been at junctions or on the drive at home!
:)  + 1
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

Has anyone posted the weight of these things? To be of any real use they must be of pretty substantial gauge and thus be very heavy.

2012 SE
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I'm not so keen on the full crash bars, so I'm considering https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/R1200RT/2014/AB0024BK/ or perhaps a set of these https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/R1200RT/2014/ECS0081C/what does the panel think?Ta