Thank you

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Mark05RT

Thank you

Post by Mark05RT »

new to the 1200rt forum.....due to take on an 05-1200RT later in the month.

No stranger to BMW... R80/7, R65LS, K75C, K100RS (x2), 1200GS (x2) ... But made a silly mistake last time I swapped to. Triumph Sprint GT ..... Nothing at all wrong with the bike, loved riding it, but only if I rode for no more than an hour or so. After that, the neck and wrist pain became a real annoyance!

Oh well! Would have loved a later RT, but resources saw me look towards an older but low mileage version!

Already found the forum useful for sat nav alternatives to fit the Nav 5 cradle that comes fitted to the bike.

One mystery though....why would anyone fit a two-way toggle switch on the dash to operate the indicators?

Anyway .... Many thanks and look forward to lots of interesting reads!
BMW R1200RT SE 2010
Spencert231

Re: Thank you

Post by Spencert231 »

Welcome Mark I hope you enjoyable bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Indicator alterations.  Probably done by somebody who used to read MCN when they continually complained about the 3 switch set up.  Since BMW dropped it they have gone the other way.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Mark05RT, welcome , good that you are finding the `Forum' useful - enjoy......... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Mark05RT

Post by Mark05RT »

RTman10 wrote: Indicator alterations.  Probably done by somebody who used to read MCN when they continually complained about the 3 switch set up.  Since BMW dropped it they have gone the other way.

Thanks....personally, always been a fan of the unique BMW indicator set up! Something they 'had' right!

Just feel lucky to have dropped into the local dealer, who had no used 1200RT on the floor, to find they'd just taken in an 05 with 25k, audio, cruise, esa, hear grips/seats, colour coded boxes and sat nav prep. Great condition!

Long test ride rediscovered motorcycling comfort.

Just one issue thrown up.....the clutch, although not slipping, the bite position was along way out....reported to the dealer who said it would be sorted! Is that going to be bleeding the clutch or replaced plate/thrust bearings?

Views appreciated!
BMW R1200RT SE 2010
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would have thought a new clutch plate but that's a low mileage to wear one out.
Mark05RT

Post by Mark05RT »

That was my initial thought. Will see how they've resolved it!
BMW R1200RT SE 2010
Mark05RT

05RT saga

Post by Mark05RT »

Having chewed over the decision on the 05 RT, something didn't feel right! Switch gear well worn, clutch issues....didn't just feel the right decision. Cancelled order.

On the hunt again!

So now looking for a twin cam, 10-12 with lowish miles!

Nearly made a real mistake today....looked at a really low miles 2010, twin cam, in mint condition. Had a low seat fitted but thought I might be able to put a standard seat on it. Well, having had a dealer check it out on the BMW system ..... It was the lowered machine, seat, suspension, centre stand, etc. cost to bring it to standard was just silly....so a close shave!

BMW R1200RT SE 2010
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Right decision Mark05RT, `close shave',  take your time the right one will turn up...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Chad

Post by Chad »

Going for a twin cam over the earlier model is one decision that you won't regret. I found the TC much much better, well worth paying the extra. (And you won't get out accelerated by mini coopers, Subaru's & M3's!)
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

I have an 05 with 60k.  The cluch is just fine.  Haven't been out accelerated by the vehicles described ever. . Wind that baby up to 8k and I leave them all in the dust quite frequently. . Great bike,  can do all my own maintenance,  and it is paid for. . Nothing wrong with an 05. . It even has a horn that can be heard by drivers with their windows closed.  Imagine that.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I had a 55 plate years ago- sold it when it got to 16k on the clock. My wife has a Subaru turbo 4x4 & my son had a chipped Cooper S. from a standing start both frequently (and much to my annoyance:-) left me in their wake for the the first 200 yards or so. It was a lovely bike but  the performance for a 1200 left something to be desired. The horn on the earlier RT's is amazing. It startled me every time and I was pressing it! The twin cam was in my view a much needed improvement, and made the riding experience so much more enjoyable. And of course changed the family banter when it came to who gets to work quicker... lol
Attachments
image.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I was loaned a twin cam when my 1600 died on me in the middle of France in 2013.  After the 600 mile ride on it I vowed never to get in an RT again. Then along came the LC. Now I never intend to get on a 1600 again. .
Chad

Post by Chad »

It seems a lot of Members on this forum have swapped their K16's for an LC, and seem much happier with the LC. Ive never got round to owning K16 but have seriously thought about  getting one on several occasions. What is it that had swayed you from a K16 to an RTLC?  Is it weight, handling, running costs???
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Mainly weight, nearly 100 kg more than the LC.  Weather protection for your hands is also non existent and the pillion seat although comfortable is very high on the GTL.  The engine though is something else. And the drive chain is horrible, even on the latest model there is a noticeable cluck from the rear drive at low speed and the gearbox although slick is noisy. And no pro shift. How can you live without it?