General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Bmw warranty

Post by David. »

juniorswailing wrote:As my bike is slightly older than my last one I decided to go for the BMW Warranty.
Out of interest, may I ask which option you went for, Annual or Monthly, with or without Emergency Assistance & with a zero, £50 or £100 Excess.

What is the Year & Mileage on your RT.

How much did the Warranty cost.
Last edited by David. on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

Its a 2011 with 12150 miles on the clock.

It took the Emergency Assistance, a 50 excess, and I opted to pay monthly.

Works out at roughly 33 pound a month.
Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

That sounds very reasonable, my RT is a 2012 Model with 10,674 miles on it, I opted for £100 Excess & pay £33 per Month too.
Last edited by David. on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

I'm happy enough with the peace of mind
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Perhaps I'm paying slightly over the odds for a younger Bike with less Miles & more Excess.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Insured Warranty Policy Documents & Handbook arrived today, it's reassuring to know cover starts on 1st April 2016.
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

That's mine arrived and in place now too.
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

During the 18k service on Thursday the front caliper was found to be seized after they removed it to replace the pads.

One overnight stay later and the loan of a brand new RT it was replaced under the warranty. I may have misheard but I'm sure I was told that it would have cost £700. If so then the warranty may well be worth considering.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

juniorswailing wrote: During the 18k service on Thursday the front caliper was found to be seized after they removed it to replace the pads.

One overnight stay later and the loan of a brand new RT it was replaced under the warranty. I may have misheard but I'm sure I was told that it would have cost £700. If so then the warranty may well be worth considering.

This is why I do my own servicing. These bikes are great but they are delicate to corrosion. The brakes are so easy to service and clean that this sort of problem should never have occurred. So too all you non spanner riders I would learn how to do some of the simple maintenance tasks when your bikes come out of warranty otherwise it could be very expensive.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: [size=78%]So to all you non spanner riders I would learn how to do some of the simple maintenance tasks when your bikes come out of warranty otherwise it could be very expensive.[/size]

Alternatively, you could just extend the warranty!

bebe
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Alternatively, you could just extend the warranty!

Is the way to go.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Not for me. A little preventive fettling takes little effort and saves you so much dosh and grief. However each to their own. :)
Tango

Post by Tango »

You can still fiddle / fettle with your parts, as you wish, with the warranty, but you won't fiddle / fettle a dead electronic computer module back to life for the price of a warranty.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

True but I have never had a electronic black box fail. I guess its all to do with perceived risk. Apart from the GS bearing fiasco I have had no issues over the last ten years. If I had been paying for warranty over that time I would have shelled out £3960 using Davids figure of £33/month. So thats money I have in the bank increasing at £396/year. That should pay for anything in the future. This looks like I do not believe in warranties. Well I do for new bikes or secondhand ones I have bought because you do not know their mechanical history. However once I have owned a bike for a year or two you know if you have a good one or a lemon.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

juniorswailing wrote:During the 18k service on Thursday the front caliper was found to be seized after they removed it to replace the pads.
Got both wheels out to replace the tyres, will be removing the pads & cleaning the F&R calipers at the same time.