Bmw warranty

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Bertie

Re: Bmw warranty

Post by Bertie »

Just for interest how many of you have extended warranties on your cars that you use every day all year round and probably do about 10,000 miles a year in?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Nope - Good point though. But which is more likely to break down, car or a BMW motorcycle.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote: Nope - Good point though. But which is more likely to break down, car or a BMW motorcycle.

Perception will be motorcycle but if looked after I doubt there is much in it. Bikes require more servicing and if not done properly I guess can cause more issues. However you only have to look over the pond at some of the US forums to see what milages they do with little in the way of issues. One guy recently posted 400,000 miles done on a Honda ST1100. Many on the same forum have posted their bikes have done over 100,000 miles with no problems.

However one thing for sure is bikes suffer from corrosion more than cars. There seems to be more problems with corrosion than anything else.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Bertie wrote: Just for interest how many of you have extended warranties on your cars that you use every day all year round and probably do about 10,000 miles a year in?

I do - and always have.  I never want to be in possession of a box of expensive electronics where the failure of a major component could make a 25%+ difference to the value of the vehicle.  With cars it's just for peace of mind, with modern bikes (unless you ride Honda) it's an absolute essential...

Tango

Post by Tango »

A while back, I had a 2014 Honda cb500 X from new, build quality down, component quality down, corrosion problems etc,etc.
I was not alone.
OK, not an expensive bike, but my point is that even the mighty Honda, and I am a fan, build to a price, to compete in today's tough market.
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

Do you know if the extended warranty cover is the same as the OEM warranty?

Or is it a re-branded (and re-priced) insurance product from another provider, with inferior protection to what the new bike came with?

My dealer just sucked his teeth when I asked... maybe because it was a dumb question, but BMW repackage so many things as their own, so I do wonder.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If you go to the warranty site you can read all about it. Mine cost me today £384 with a £100 excess and Rescue. Not cheap.

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/EmergencyService
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The RT is due an annual service on 19/08/16, it's done approx. 5,000 miles since the last service.

Wanting to push the service on until the bike has done 6,000 miles or later in the year before it gets tucked away for the Winter.

BMW Warranty Services have confirmed that the service can go over by 1 month or 1,000 miles to maintain the T&C's of the warranty.

Based on this, have booked the bike in for 19/09/16.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Let's hope you don't get snowed in for a day or two. Extended mine at 2 yrs and 3 months (recall allowance) at the end of July.  Same price as Casbar.  But at least it includes full Emergency Service. Had all sorts of trouble getting any documentation from them, they seemed unable to email,it all but quite capable of sending emails saying they had.  In the end they gave up and posted it.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

It is quite expensive, mine also was £384 paid at the end of May, getting the new LC in September, so gave them a call, " no problem sir we will refund the remaining balance back to you from the 1st Sept £250, thought that was fair play 👍
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Will be cancelling the ("pay as you go" monthly) warranty on 31st October 2016 & renewing on 1st April 2017.
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

DaygloDavid wrote: For the same reason, I took the Warranty on my 2012 RT.
It would be nice to ride around on a new LC RT with a 2 Year Warranty, but I prefer the TC, therefore, IMO, it's the next best thing for me.
Even nicer to have a new LC RT with the American 3 Year Warranty!! :nervous:
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

But the downside is half the kit on US ones end up non BMW . That's probably why they can afford to give 3 years.