Painting an R1200 RT another color

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
diego092409

Painting an R1200 RT another color

Post by diego092409 »

My soon to be wife and I are planning to buy a 2016 R1200 RT early in 2016.  We would have bought it this year but between our wedding and her son's wedding, we didn't want to strap ourselves for cash.  She loves the Orange color that comes on the K1600GT but we both would like the smaller R1200 RT as our rides are usually more skewed for mountainous curvy roads instead of long interstate rides.

I told the local BMW salesman if he had a way of getting an R1200 RT in the Orange color, she would have had me signing the papers that day.  She wants a flashier color than 3 options currently available.  Has anyone had the body panels painted on their R1200 RT?  How much did it cost?  How hard was it to remove the different body panels yourself?  The parts that are grey/black would remain that way, it is just the areas that have the metallic flake on them that would be considered being painted. 
guest2360

Re: Painting an R1200 RT another color

Post by guest2360 »

Don't know anybody who has totally painted a brand new bike.  You should be aware that doing that would most likely reduce its resale value down the line as dealers like stock bikes.
diego092409

Post by diego092409 »

We are intending on this being our regular rider for a long time (greater than 10 years).  Not to say the only bike, but the one that she rides with me regularly. 
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Diego092409,  and welcome to the forum,  I think it was `DaygloDavid'  who posted a good sequence guide to removing the Bikes Trim, ........ ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Chad

Post by Chad »

Hi Diego, I spent several years as a BMW refinisher & technicical instructor so I know my way round a body shop. The panels will come off the bike easily in an hour or two. No special skills required here. Because the panels have already been painted, the paints will already have had the essential plasticisers added to allow the paint to flex with the panels. Simply refinishing the panels is a very straightforward job and as such won't be as expensive as you might think. Don't go to a main dealer- look for an approved body shop (in the UK look for a VBRA member), this will ensure the shop has the right equipment such as a spray booth, use quality paint materials and of course will give you that all important warranty as you don't want to see a hunk of paint flaking off following a stone chip or a pressure wash. (BMW's warranty would not cover this). It's a 2 day job. The cost will vary massively depending where you go but in my area I would expect to pay less than £600.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Make sure you post the "after" pictures!
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Good luck Diego092409 with both your investments ;)  with regards to the Burned Orange look, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's pretty much down to preference as it would be pretty boring with us all riding around on the Calisto Grey which by the way is the fastest bike and best colour. Best of luck with the decision making. I believe you have already been directed to the best area on YouTube for taking the Tupperware off the bike. Good luck
Chad

Post by Chad »

A point to note, as with cars, bikes can also be very colour sensitive. By that I mean some cars & bikes look great in a particular colour, but others don't quite look right. Size; is there simply too much mass? contours; how will the light reflect off the shapes/curves? contrast; how will this colour contrast with other trim? It is as mentioned an individual thing but I'd hate to see you spent time, effort & money and end up disappointed.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Orange or Calisto Grey you chose my tractor looks great in orange but would look crap in grey I know I saw one. Be careful Diego :alas:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hey one is completely upside down the other is in rocket launch what's happening? I thought this was fixed or is it me?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Cant figure out how you manage to do it.  Its obviously an art that the rest of us have yet to master.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I'm glad you said the photo is upside down, I was about to ask what make your super sticky tyres where...
Crater

Post by Crater »

I also looked at Triumph Trophys before I bought the Beemer. My local Triumph dealer, Ongar Motorcycles, had a series of specially painted bikes done by 8ballcustompaintwork (all sanctioned by Triumph). he had a cream Trophy that looked fabulous and a blue one with the best finish Ive ever seen on a bike -the logos seemed to painted, not transfers.
Have a look at their site. they seem to do BMWs
Attachments
image.jpg
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

What about vinyl wrapping, rather than painting?