Intermittent Starting Issue

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
CMB123

Intermittent Starting Issue

Post by CMB123 »

Hi there,

I have a 2014 R1200RT and recently I have noticed that from time to time it won't start on the first turn, but starts fine on the 2nd try? It does it whether its hot or cold? Any suggestions before I call the local shop? It turns over fine, but no firing, so I am wondering if its something to do with the fuel injection. Once running its as sweet as ever and runs perfectly.

Thanks,

marc.
marc.
Bertie

Re: Intermittent Starting Issue

Post by Bertie »

As with my previous bikes I always give the throttle a little blip before starting only about an eighth of a turn it's always seems to aid starting. I then leave the throttle closed when pressing the start button. FYI it's raining here in Austria hope it improves!
Last edited by Bertie on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

Thanks for the tip, which I'll try when I head out for an evening run tonight. Sorry to hear you are having rain, we have a heatwave right now ;-)

marc.
marc.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Snap absolutely boiling hot here in South West France, but not complaining. My answer do a bit of gardening or walk the dogs and if to hot go and sit down with either a cold beer or glass of wine, were ever the mood takes me  8)
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Got it sorted thanks, now in Croatia and it's hot and sunny. First time here and it's a lovely country, enjoying our first long trip on the RT.  It's going well and returning 58 mpg even though we haven't been hanging about.

jhandfield

Post by jhandfield »

I've had the same issue with my '14 intermittently, crank and crank but it won't turn over - let it sit for a second and hit the starter again and it'll fire up without any hesitation. In my experience the chance of it refusing the start is directly proportional to the number of coworkers who've come out to the parking lot to check it out...

I did have one other incident in which the starter gave a nice loud CLUNK & grind, then shut down while starting. Same thing though, said a few prayers, waited a sec, and hit the starter again, no issues...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

jhandfield wrote: I've had the same issue with my '14 intermittently, crank and crank but it won't turn over - let it sit for a second and hit the starter again and it'll fire up without any hesitation. In my experience the chance of it refusing the start is directly proportional to the number of coworkers who've come out to the parking lot to check it out...

I did have one other incident in which the starter gave a nice loud CLUNK & grind, then shut down while starting. Same thing though, said a few prayers, waited a sec, and hit the starter again, no issues...

That sort of thing is known as character expertly inserted in Berlin.