Touratech or Wunderlich

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
SheepDog

Touratech or Wunderlich

Post by SheepDog »

Looking at crash bars. Touratech's seem to be back ordered. Should I wait or go w/ Wunderlich? Anyone have any preference?
Si vis pacem, para bellum
guest2360

Re: Touratech or Wunderlich

Post by guest2360 »

Neither, stick with OEM.
SheepDog

Post by SheepDog »

For a '15? Can't find such a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

BMWs own.  Both the crash bars and the cylinder protectors do the job and your bike doesn't end up looking like the Forth Rail Bridge.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: BMWs own.  Both the crash bars and the cylinder protectors do the job and your bike doesn't end up looking like the Forth Rail Bridge.
That's a bit harsh and considering they all look pretty much the same all do the same job. They would all be useless in a proper off but all would safe the expensive parts likely to be damaged in a dropped when turning the bike or some other slow manoeuvre.

I personally have Wunderlich front and back and very pleased with how they look and the price probably a third of OEM (probably made by Wunderlich) with BMW markup just looks Garmin for example of mark up.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Personally I ride without all the ironmongery.  I just put some cylinder head protectors on.

As far as the bars (of any make) are considered, I'd rather have a nice looking bike and risk a slightly larger repair bill than ride round on a two-wheel dodgem car!

Other opinions are available...

;) ;)
SheepDog

Post by SheepDog »

Opinions on cylinder head protection?

fmantek

Post by fmantek »

SheepDog wrote: Opinions on cylinder head protection?

I just installed MachineHeads X-Heads. pretty easy install, they look nice and do not weigh a ton. I only have them as I am always afraid someone knocks my bike over in a parking lot - which did happen to me once....

I think crashbars are a waste if you are not dirt riding. But that's just my opinion and to each his own.

But for all installations keep in mind that it will most likely drive up the cost of service...

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

SheepDog wrote: Opinions on cylinder head protection?

I only have the BMW head protectors.  That are very high quality bits of kit and you have to look closely to know their even fitted.  Im assured they do the job in a tip over.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Mmm! That's interesting if someone could please explain to me how cylinder head protection will stop damage to the panniers? I'm sorry but I am not going to lay my bike down to prove a point. However, checkout Wunderlich YouTube for a demo.

Notwithstanding I do like the cylinder head protection I think it looks pretty smart.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I know of a bike with the cylinder protectors fitted and also the £10 Halfords bumper protectors fitted to the panniers.  In a non moving drop the damage to any part of the bike was nil.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: I know of a bike with the cylinder protectors fitted and also the £10 Halfords bumper protectors fitted to the panniers.  In a non moving drop the damage to any part of the bike was nil.

A £10 bumper protector on a bike of this price? What else can I say?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Spencert231 wrote: Mmm! That's interesting if someone could please explain to me how cylinder head protection will stop damage to the panniers?

It won't - but who wants to ride around on a bike full of iron bars???

:alas: :alas: :alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Spencert231 wrote:
A £10 bumper protector on a bike of this price? What else can I say?
[/quote
Get yourself a set, they do a better job and look better than the BMW ones. Look closely and you can see how well they blend in.
Attachments
WP_20150530_21_00_52_Pro.jpg
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SheepDog

Post by SheepDog »

Then comes in the question of highway pegs. Seems ya need the crash bars in order to have a place to install highway pegs.