Planning on using Channel Tunnel think twice

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Spencert231

Re: Planning on using Channel Tunnel think twice

Post by Spencert231 »

Now that's good to know, can't beat local knowledge cheers Steve.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Did the trip home yesterday.  As Steve says this side is no real problem, you just filter through up the A20.  The other side is a different story. When I went out a week ago the E40 was closed about 30 miles East of Calais and you were left to figure out how and where to get back on, it seems there had been some incident on it.  Well its still closed.  I lost an hour getting to the tunnel.  Eurotunnel itself was quiet and running on time. 
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I would imagine it was the French idiots burning tyres, but could have been a genuine accident further on?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Spencert231 wrote: I would imagine it was the French idiots burning tyres, but could have been a genuine accident further on?
Well that was my thoughts 5 days ago.  Some accident
Mark05RT

Post by Mark05RT »

stelyn.....many thanks. Will consider that if the strike is still on in late July!
BMW R1200RT SE 2010
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Mark05RT wrote: stelyn.....many thanks. Will consider that if the strike is still on in late July!
  `Op Stack' has now been  lifted , but back log  is still being cleared and should be OK  by midday today.  HOWEVER  -  French strikers are  already indicating that there may be further disruption next  Tuesday  (7th July ) if their demands are not met.  Nothing confirmed, but be aware........ ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Looking at the news overnight I'm very glad to be home.  Eurotunnel site is saying they are back to normal though this morning.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: Looking at the news overnight I'm very glad to be home.  Eurotunnel site is saying they are back to normal though this morning.
Guess What, in just  the 35 minutes since my last Post,  our local Radio has  just announced further `new 'delays at the French side of the Tunnel, due to it being stormed by large numbers of immigrants, and as such due to the site terminal being compromised,  at present some services are disrupted, traffic on the M20 already having problems at j11A..... again !!  >:(

UPDATE at 11:15am , rode pass the Tunnel 25 mins ago, and freight traffic  now backed up along    motorway  ( j11a ) for about  one and a half miles  ( and gaining )  Cars/Bikes are filtering through but slowly  and  a bit of queuing to the `booths'.
Last edited by stelyn on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Great update Steve I am sure that will help some who are planning on travelling.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Just got back from a `day in France' via the Channel Tunnel.    >:(  What a bloody nightmare, checked with  Eurotunnel late last night for any `problems' and there was none.    First thing this morning advised of 30 minute delays due to overnight maintenance, -  ok,  no problem  I can live with that.      Arrived at the Tunnel at 07:00  but  their signs  now indicating 1 hour delay,  however 3 hrs  further on,  and sweltering in the `car park'  heat,  finally boarded a train , no announcements,  no apologies, nothing.    Checked back in at 15:00 at French side Coquelles  ( so a curtailed day out )
and delayed again for a further 90 minutes.  -  Again nothing From Eurotunnel as to the delays.  To top it off, once back in `Blighty'  `Op Stack was back on with Motorways closed and A20 congested.... So if anyone is planning to travel via the Tunnel this weekend  - be warned.
                                      End of Rant , I'm gonna get `pissed' now..... 8)

( Now wished I'd stayed at home, cut the grass / painted the fence / brushed the Cat..ect ect  )
Last edited by stelyn on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hey stelyn that would be enough to test the patience of a saint. But hey comon brush the cat or does that mean something different where you live? :o
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Was the E40 still shut East of Calais, or did you not go that way?
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: Was the E40 still shut East of Calais, or did you not go that way?
E40 seemed to be  OK,  I headed to Le Touquert along the A16  ( opposite direction )      8)