'Mother New Member

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Bumpkin

'Mother New Member

Post by Bumpkin »

and another Berkshire lad

Just bought a new RT LC

Had a great time on the test ride with the radio, I'm sure I'll have many years in which to eat my words, but the radio is a brilliant joke!  I can get radio piped into my helmet (in the nicest possible way) without exposing the world at large to magic fm!

The RT was predictable for me, born again biker from the ZX9 creed, tried the R1150R and failed, tried the 2008 R1200GS and was stunned, perfect bike, other than the engine, gearbox and height.

Spent a few years going down the GTR and Thunderbird route trying to find the right bike for roads near home and touring.

I'd never tried the RT, asked North Oxford to loan me one during a service, but not tried. 

What amazed me was that these are not bikes to be afraid of, they are tourers for normal numpties.  The low centre of gravity of the boxer twin compensates the tourer toys and so they work on my big "B" roads around home and still my 350 mile a day range from my annual bloke's de stress run out.

Been reading this site for a while trying to steal your knowledge, and for that I thank you, I'm hoping that this bike is my middle aged ZX9, although there's always a risk the sports bike will call, so I would like to think I'll find a bigger garage before finding the need to change.
Bumpkin

Re: 'Mother New Member

Post by Bumpkin »

OK, 1 post and I failed the spellchecker test - meNt to say    'nother
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Here was I thinking somebody was joining to mother us,dam!
Manofleisur

Post by Manofleisur »

Welcome to you Bumpkin a fellow Berkshire lad, be interesting to see how we progress on our respective RT's . Yours new and mine 8 years old, new clutch fitted after one day's ownership. Exited though as picking it up today, although also told yesterday 3 outstanding recalls to be sorted, so will be contacting Barnstormer's in Maidenhead later today. However nice to know no charges for the work and BMW recall work will also be FOC not bad for an 8 year old bike !!!
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Nice one Manofleisur lets hope they change some of the really expensive bits free of charge, enjoy your bike :)
Manofleisur

Post by Manofleisur »

My thoughts exactly, have just found some back Mot's and from 2010 to 2012 only 1000 miles then from 2012 to 2014 only 360 miles so guess would explain the clutch issue my guess being sealed dried out. Then last owner in 1 year increased mileage by 2000 miles, bet he knew the clutch was on it's way out ! Still my idea is to use the bike now for pleasure only as in the happy place of being retired.