Ex-Pan newbie

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
kerdoman

Ex-Pan newbie

Post by kerdoman »

Hello all - traded my Pan11 after 10 years ownership for a 2005 R1200RT SE with 25k miles on the clock.  Not new to RTs as I did run an 1150 for a couple of years alongside the Pan.

Bike is with us Brittany at the moment having ridden over from Somerset via Poole and Cherbourg.  Apart from being very hot weather, the journey was good and got me familiar with the bike.

Jobs to do: wire in another input for the battery charger as the factory input doesn't want to know so it'll be a direct connection to the battery via a fuse.  Wouldn't mind a couple of auxiliary driving lights and maybe a rear fog light too.  Autocom needs to be plumbed in as well.

Hope I might be able to contribute to the forum and to pick your brains too.

Alex
Manofleisur

Re: Ex-Pan newbie

Post by Manofleisur »

Welcome Kerdoman from a fellow new member having just acquired an 07 reg RT with only 17,500 on the clock. Sure seems like a good site, I hope all goes smoothly for you.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi kerdoman, welcome , enjoy your `RT' and this forum -make the most of this good weather ....... 8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Welcome Kerdoman I am sure you will enjoy the forum. Some of the topics you mention have been addressed by some with pictures of installation so you won't be going into uncharted territory.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't know what battery charger you have but try plugging it in and then turning on the ignition a minute.  It sometimes works.  On mine I did pot on another socket directly to the battery.  If you look on the opposite side to where the rear one is you will see the panel has an indentation to take one. Just drill it out and go directly to the battery. It a lot neater than dangly wires under the seat. 
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

The power sockets on the can-bus systems fitted to 1200 RT's shut down after 2-4 minutes so you cannot charge them with a standard batter charger.  Both BMW and Optimate make can-bus compatible charges that will keep the circuit open and allow the battery to charge.  Nippy Normans often have them on offer. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

MEM62 is correct.  In addition its possible to damage the system with inappropriate chargers. 
kerdoman

Post by kerdoman »

Thanks for the welcome and heads-up guys.

RTman10 - turning the ignition on for a minute or so worked a treat; thanks for that.  I will be putting an addition direct socket in too.