smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

I've been knocked off!!

Post by smileymiley »

Was knocked off the RT this morning :(
Waiting at the A6006/B676 junction to turn right to Melton Mowbray,  just pulled off when the car behind me decided he wanted to be in the same piece of road as me!
Pulled a huge wheelie before I ended up on the opposite side of the road, the bike on its r/h side with me partially under it.
Soft tissue injuries for me but I've had the estimate from the BMW shop... £ 4700+!!
He admitted liability, like he had no other choice!
2 witnesses gave me their  cards saying they saw everything & he was at fault :)
More than happy with BMW assistance,  they had me & bike transported to BMW Long Eaton in an hour and a half,  also sorted out a14 plate series 5 BMW for the duration :)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Re: I've been knocked off!!

Post by beemerbaz »

Hope your not too sore in the morning. That A6006 is a great road tho !
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Nasty - hope you're ok...

stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Glad to know your OK smileymiley,,  the Bike can be repaired  a lot easier.    :o
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hey sorry to hear that smileymiley don't loose those cards because by the time his mates and other barrack room lawyers finish with him he will be denying everything. I know was in one a few years ago.
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Tuff luck Smiley, but glad you are OK.
Sounds like no damage to cylinder head - Presumably 'cos you acted as jam in sandwich twixt them and road.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Saw your bike today. It wont take the boys at Pidcocks long to get it back to just like new. Just make sure your insurers don't drag their feet giving the go ahead.
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

You're not the first and you won't be the last. Until a bike test is compulsory for cagers then shit will happen.
Glad to hear you're ok and hope the bike situation is sorted soon
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

beemerbaz wrote: Hope your not too sore in the morning.
Bit sore yesterday, even sorerer today :(
Thanks to all for the nice comments tho ;D
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Pope

Post by Pope »

Sorry to hear about your altercation mate. I bet it was a shock, getting punted up the rear like  :eggs: .

Glad to hear your ok though, as it could have been much worse.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Dogbreath wrote: You're not the first and you won't be the last. Until a bike test is compulsory for cagers then shit will happen.
Glad to hear you're ok and hope the bike situation is sorted soon

That my friend will never happen, for the simple reason not all people are capable of riding. I was of the same mind as you on that subject, but had a debate with several IAM examiners and police examiners who were adamant that not all can ride. It revolves around balance, coordination, periphery vision and reflex, etc, etc.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That my friend will never happen, for the simple reason not all people are capable of riding. I was of the same mind as you on that subject, but had a debate with several IAM examiners and police examiners who were adamant that not all can ride. It revolves around balance, coordination, periphery vision and reflex, etc, etc.
That's a bit worrying, don't think I have all of those. 
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 I know the feeling the only time I have balance is when I'm on the bike. I walk like a drunk, wobble, wobble bump, wobble, wobble bump.
Crater

Post by Crater »

I'm very glad to hear you're OK smileymiley. It's deeply unpleasant being involved in any kind of accident but isn't it more unsettling when you realise there wasn't anything you could have done to prevent it?
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

That is indeed a very good point for us all Crater, 'road position' I am not suggesting for a moment that Smileymiley was not in the best position. In my case I could have been doing things differently I was legal in all aspects of the Highway Code, but could have done things differently to protect myself.

When I was laying in bed in Hammersmith Hospital (5weeks) I plotted a course of action which included: bike safe, Machine Control 1, Enhanced Rider Scheme and Advanced Institute Motoring (Skills for Life). All of which I found excellent and I came to the conclusion after 30+yrs of riding there was so much to learn. By the way that incident put me on a Zimmer frame for a further 6 months.

By the way I did all of the above courses and now ride like a ninja :ninja: on the grey stealth fighter :))