Rear wheel recall

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gru

Rear wheel recall

Post by gru »

I recently took my bike in for replacement of aluminum rear hub with steel rear hub. My question is: dose the rear end oil have to be drained to do this recall???
Spencert231

Re: Rear wheel recall

Post by Spencert231 »

gru wrote: I recently took my bike in for replacement of aluminum rear hub with steel rear hub. My question is: dose the rear end oil have to be drained to do this recall???
What year is your bike? Why the question regarding the oil?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Answer is no.  Wheel off only.
gru

Post by gru »

The reason for the question, is after the recall, and a trip, there was no oil in the rear end, and no sign of a leak. I have a meticulous route en of changing oil, and transmission fluid, and servicing the rear drive and splines before a long trip, all of this was done, and a week before the trip I received the recall notice. I called the dealer, and the service manager said I should bring it in. About 4 days before my trip I took it in for service.  Assuming all was well, I continued to prepare for the trip. Left and had a great 3,900 mile trip. Then as per my normal maintenance, I changed the oil, transmission, and rear end fluids, however when I drained the rear end Bike on stand rear wheel removed FD dropped down (2005 R 1200RT) only 60ccof oil came out, normal is 200cc, therefore I am thinking perhaps there is some damage!