R1200RT LE Newbie

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
alex789

R1200RT LE Newbie

Post by alex789 »

Hi all, I am new to this site, currently I ride a 2013 K1600gt however I am looking for a lighter ride, are there any ex K1600 owners who have made the move to the 1200RT. I would appreciate any feed back from your experiences.

Many thanks in anticipation.

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: R1200RT LE Newbie

Post by T6pilot »

Traded my 2012 1600gt last month on a new 2015 RT
No regrets, you won't miss the weight loss, handling is great
Downside it has 30 less horses
Enjoy the new ride
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Lots of us.  I had a 2011 GTL E followed by a 2014 Exclusive.  The Exclusive was over the top being even heavier than the GTL. I had a quick test in the RT and that was that.  You get all the goodies swapping and some that are still not available on the 1600s.  You have the same pannier's, switch gear, engine modes, but loose 100 kg. You also can have pro shift.  If you carry a pillion there is a little less room for them but the seat is wider. As it uses the 1600 panniers on a shorter frame there is also a little Less room for the pillion's feet on the pegs and its not easy for then to get the ball of their feet on the pegs.  Not a problem for many though.  I also think the suspension is better. 
Its defiantly not as fast as the 1600s but far more agile so more fun.  Weather protection is also better especially for you hands and I get no buffeting.  Its also much better for your pillion.  I don't know anybody who has regretted the move. -
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

I changed from the K1600 GT to the WC RT last year. The only thing I miss is warp factor 1 for the odd overtake. Otherwise more comfortable, lighter, handles better, cheaper insurance and La Petite Pillion prefers it.  Weather protection is better. Never regretted the change.
Budman

Post by Budman »

I went from an RT to GTL in 2012. Went back to  the RT within the year. I just couldnt get that good feeling about the GTL. Its a great bike, just not for me. Ann and I took the GTL on the track at Barber Motorsports, great fun but I just couldnt get happy with it.Im just a boxer guy so I went back to an RT. Had some issues with my 12 RT and traded it for 2014 RT.

Couldnt be happier! 
XoomRT

Post by XoomRT »

Yeah, the ageless question...
Why would I want to go from a "superior" machine to a lesser machine?
Well the question is flawed, you're not seeking to go to a lesser machine, you're seeking to go to a machine that fits YOU better!

My first experience with BMW motorcycles was a 1999 R1100RT.
I had many, many Japanese bikes and all were excellent. But the BMW was different!
I really LOVE motorcycling and when I purchased my Beemer, it rekindled my love for motorcycling.
So much so, that I rode that bike into 2013 with 70,000 miles on the clock, at which point I traded it in for a 2013 K1600GT.
I demoed a 2013 R1200GS and saw the great improvement to the "R" series, but at that point, the RT wasn't available yet, so I went with the K16GT.
Let me say that the K1600 GT is the smoothest, most powerful bike I have ever ridden. It's a great bike!
But now I am tiring of the weight of the K, so I recently took a 2015 R1200RT out for a demo ride and now know that deep down inside, I'm an RT guy.

So let me shorten this RT gushing and say, yeah, I think there are more than a few "K" riders, who are former "RT" riders, thinking of returning from where they came.

Last edited by XoomRT on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
XoomRT

Post by XoomRT »

T6pilot wrote: Traded my 2012 1600gt last month on a new 2015 RT
No regrets, you won't miss the weight loss, handling is great
Downside it has 30 less horses
Enjoy the new ride

Agree with your take on the R vs K.

Would you mind if I ask you the numbers?
I too want to trade my 2013 K16 in for a 2015 R1200RT and my dealer told me to sell my bike outright.

I'm not wild about trying to sell my bike outright but I also don't want to take a beating.

How'd you make out?
XoomRT

Post by XoomRT »

Oops... Sorry.

Welcome Alex.
Budman

Post by Budman »

zoomRT, Where are you. I suggest you contact Jason at Eurosport in Asheville NC. They gave me a great deal on my RT. They were more than fair with my trade.
alex789

Post by alex789 »

Thanks for the feed back.
I have had a test ride on the r1200rt and I did enjoy the ride, much lighter and more nimble than the K16, in my opinion. The only negative I had was the perception of a slight tingling from the foot rests.
I have had a part ex offer on my 16 which i wasn't happy about but making enquiries with other options I seem to have a reasonably good deal on the table. I am going to take another test ride this week and subject to the test ride I will probably take up the option on a montego blue R1200 rt lc with the dynamic option plus a few bits n bobs, as you do.
I will let you know what the out come is later in the week.

Once again thanks for the feed back, much appreciated.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Yep I went for the K16 after trying a 2012 RT and not liking it. Lived with all the highs and lows of the K16 (reliability was fine by the way on every count) for two years then concluded I'd never loved it other than the rush I got when opening up the throttle). Tried the new RT and immediately remembered why I loved motorcycling. I noticed a lot of vibration on the old RT i tried but very little if any on the LC/LE (except when I put a faulty bash guard on it). From my perspective I agree with all of the above - you won't regret it.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
sgtgarnier

Post by sgtgarnier »

I rode the K 1600 back to back with the RT ,both models were the 2015 models. I liked the RT better for a few reasons. I think when you look at power to weight ratio they're pretty close to each other, but the RT is lighter, has better wind protection, and doesn't pump the heat from the cylinders into the seat like I noticed on the 1600. I did like the warp speed option on the 1600 and if you're traveling from galaxy to galaxy I would imagine that would be an advantage but I did end up buying the brand new RT though.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk
Last edited by sgtgarnier on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.