Orkney & Ullapool

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
guest2368

Orkney & Ullapool

Post by guest2368 »

Hi folks,

I have done a bit of a write up of a tour I done a couple of weeks ago, I have posted it on my blog at:

http://sofnolime.blogspot.co.uk/

It's a bit long, but I hope you enjoy it!

John
Maz12

Re: Orkney & Ullapool

Post by Maz12 »

Look forward to reading it after work tmoz 
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

A cracking blog John, thank you. You've inspired a trip from me next year. It's over 40 years since I was at Uulapool doing some rock climbing in my Army years. Beautiful part of the world. Well done
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm a regular visitor to Orkney as the wife is from there.  Its a good haul from Nottingham, just over 600 mils but the last 50 miles of the A9/A99 makes it worth it, as long as you miss out John O Groats.  The only way to cross the Pentland Firth is from Gills Bay. The ferry from Thurso to Stromness is much more money and they want to see your Passport.  . 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Great read, been to Oban and Fort William, which a long way from Wiltshire. Planning to come to Scotland in September with my wife, your trip looked fantastic and now on my to do list.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have a tour to Orkney in July, 15 bikes which has filled the ferry from Gills Bay.  Staging on the way up in Blairgowerie and John O Groats. Up via Tomintoul  and the A9 and back down further west. 
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

RTman10 wrote: I have a tour to Orkney in July, 15 bikes which has filled the ferry from Gills Bay.  Staging on the way up in Blairgowerie and John O Groats. Up via Tomintoul  and the A9 and back down further west.
That is more or less the route I used.  I try and avoid the A9 between Perth and Inverness as much as I can now, even in the car...