'Slipping' or grinding felt through footpegs - 2015 1200RT

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Spencert231

Re: 'Slipping' or grinding felt through footpegs - 2015 1200RT

Post by Spencert231 »

Good information STeinar, but it would appear from the lack of response that nobody else is experiencing this phenomena.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Spencert231 wrote: Good information STeinar, but it would appear from the lack of response that nobody else is experiencing this phenomena.
Or that all RT users are so used to this from the start  ;D
Or it could be that this engine has a bit more than usual.
Wrong air filter / bad petrol / wrong tork setting in engine/frame etc etc
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I've found the BMW technical name for it.  CHARACTER
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Arty wrote:New here - new to RT's
One of the reasons I didn't buy a new LC RT & went for a used (2012) Twin Cam after owning both a 2007 & 2010 Model, was I felt a noticeable increase in vibrations through the footrests.

As has been suggested, it could be just part of the character of a "Boxer Twin" which you have not previously experienced.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't know if I agree that there is more vibrations on the LC.  I have owned or ridden every variation of the 1200RT since 2005 and my LC is by far the smoothest less viby one of the lot. I think anybody who has gone from air to liquid will agree with me.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Remember there will always be difference between bike to bike. Everyone was laughing to me when I was writing about my fist transmission on the 1600 - that I felt it was terrible. Others out there did not have the same feeling as I did. Then I was able to try another 1600 and found that this one was really good. When the to BMW and got a new transmission and finely I had a super bike.
All bikes feels a little different :-)
Arty

Post by Arty »

richardbd wrote:
I'm curious Arty...

Is the chap in question called Pete - and is the bike on of those brown ones that BMW claim are black (ebony)?

If it is, it may well be the very bike that persuaded me away from my Multistrada and on to the RT. 

And (again, if it is Pete) they are the best looked-after hire bikes I've ever come across - bar none!
Hi Richard

Yes indeed, Pete it is (I wondered if I was giving too much away with the Brighton reference  ^-^ , not that there are that many hire companies in the UK anyway). 

And yes indeed, it is the black/brown bike; the very same.

(We got up at 5am to be at Bexhill for about 7am for the bike show. Were meant to be there until 5pm but left soon after 12pm having had constant strong winds and heavy rain all morning, and was set to get worse. Now that the cat's out of the bag, pics here showing one of our two customers that day, and including the bike in question (not that it will help with the diagnosis): https://www.facebook.com/westsussexmotorcyclehire).

As you say, he looks after his bikes extremely well. (Sadly, his 1000RR was stolen the other week; a customer parked it in a side street in London. Pete was starting to think it was just sports bikes that get nicked. But apparently the Police told him they also just had a fully-liveried RT stolen from a nearby location at around the same time; they found the tracking chip at the side of a road.)

I have not ridden a multistrada. I confess I do love the smoothness of a 4, but our TDM feels like home.

:kacsint2: