Head Gasket

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Budman

Head Gasket

Post by Budman »

When removing the head to check the valves is it necessary to replace the head gasket or can the old one be reused?

On a recent service it appears that a friend was not charged for a new gasket. At another dealer she was charged $90 for the gasket.

She will contact the new dealer tomorrow to see if they replaced the gasket and did not charge her or if they used the old one. She has a 2012 RT. The old dealer has a habit of gouging service calls.

Thanks,

Bud
guest2360

Re: Head Gasket

Post by guest2360 »

Think you mean the gaskets on the rocker box cover.  They are made from rubber/plastic and are not normally swapped if undamaged.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Recently checked the Valve Clearances on my 2012 RT, as above, the Head/Valve Cover gaskets/seals are reusable.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=11_4289
Last edited by David. on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Budman

Post by Budman »

Thank you gentlemen, the dealer was charging her $90 for the rubber gasket.  We are not going back there again.
Budman

Post by Budman »

And they replaced them every 6000 miles.
Dori928

Post by Dori928 »

The Haynes Manual indicates these gaskets (valve cover gasket) can be reused unless damaged or there is an indication of oil leakage. Changing them every 6k miles @ $90 a pair seems at least unnecessary; gouging more likely.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

They can be reused, many dealers do not want the hassel of replacing a leaking valve cover gasket, so a new one is installed it's covered by BMW warranty for part and labor. That being said boxer valve covers are very easy to remove, I would chose to reuse the installed part as long as no damage or leaks present. Be aware those $90 gaskets do not cost dealer that amount, so he is making money on replacing a good part
Jim
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

One of the dealers here in denver recommends the gaskets be changed as well and automatically does that unless requested otherwise by the client.  According to the service mgr, the last thing they want to do is return the bike leaking oil.  I think it is totally unnecessarily.  My 2005 rt has 63k miles on it with one gasket change (not two).

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just done a valve clearance check on my 2012 RT at 25,500 miles.

The LHS valve cover seal/gasket was showing signs of slight leakage, decided to replace with new.
The cost for the gasket kit which includes two valve cover seals plus two seals for the primary spark plug holes was £70.