Dealer cost on top case?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mercator1

Dealer cost on top case?

Post by mercator1 »

If I want to negotiate having a top case thrown in on an RT deal, what kind of dealer cost should I attribute to that?  Anyone know?
guest2360

Re: Dealer cost on top case?

Post by guest2360 »

10% is a good starting point but there is not a huge margin in them.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

mercator1 wrote: If I want to negotiate having a top case thrown in on an RT deal, what kind of dealer cost should I attribute to that?  Anyone know?

Get the small (28l) one.  It looks way better...

;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I agree, it's what I have. Same advice on discount though.
Crater

Post by Crater »

In the UK the BMW top box, colour matched, is about £1000. Dealers here seem to give 10 to 15% discounts if you have bought the bike from them. If you look at the posts on this site, for some, only genuine BMW accessories will do. BMWs own bits are nice but here in the UK you sure do pay a premium.
I saved myself £600 and went down the GIVI route. I guess it depends on what you want to spend $1000 on.
Attachments
image.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

£1000 sounds a bit steep. You can get 2 types of the large BMW one. the old design but not all that different cost a little over £500. There are 2 versions of the new one, one with electrics built in for central locking and brake light and one without. You save about £150 on that.  The problem with the liked of Givi is security, you can snap the lock with a teaspoon and you need to install an adapter plate which is not a pretty thing with the box off.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

richardbd wrote:
Get the small (28l) one.  It looks way better...

;)

I only use a top case when traveling, and when I do, I think I want the maximum storage capacity.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

So, has anyone been successful getting the dealer to just toss the case in on the deal?  I'm getting factory incentives, but that isn't costing the dealership anything.  I'd like them to have some skin in the game, too.
Budman

Post by Budman »

Dont  hold your breath on that, the top cases are pretty pricey. I got to keep the top case from my 2012 when I traded it for a 2014. I thought that was a god deal.

B  ring
M  more
W  allet

Bud

Crater

Post by Crater »

At the risk of sounding like an advert for Givi...
Attachments
image.jpg
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

The boxes are good but the mounting plates ain't exactly things of beauty.

Not a problem I guess if you always leave the box on but I like to mix and match my luggage.

To be honest, I think the bike looks at its best with just the panniers fitted.  I have the small BMW top box but try hard not to need it!
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Don't have a top box but feel I need one. Like Richadbd I like the look of the bike without the TB but feel i would like an option, if I did go for one I would probably go for the 28ltr.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

This one has been used on three different 1200RTs a 1600GTL and now my LC. I can therefor vouch for its quality.  And it takes a helmet.
Attachments
WP_20150530_21_00_52_Pro.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having had a set of 3 Givi Cases for my Honda VFR800, it made sense to keep the V46 Top Case for my first 2007 RT.
Purchased a second hand Black Plastic Givi Adaptor Plate, (the new Aluminum ones do look nicer), as I always ride with the Top Case on, the appearance without didn't bother me.

The RT suffered some cosmetic damage when it fell over at a Morrisons Filling Station, they paid for all the replacement parts.
The Givi Top Case & Screen were damaged, plus other bits & bobs.
BMW would only supply & fit Genuine Parts, therefore, I ended up with the Large 49 litre Top Case in lieu of a Screen & Givi Case.
(I had the Original Screen, an aftermarket one was fitted at the time).

Although it's nice to have the BMW Cases with one key that fits all, if I was starting out again, I would certainly consider Givi for the difference in price over BMW stuff.
Rollmaster

Post by Rollmaster »

In the US the list price is $1,600 for the 49L top case.  They were just telling me today that they would give me a near their cost discount of around $1,200.  They are very pricey.  I'm buying a new RT in the process.  Hopefully, that provides some idea of their cost.