Oil Filters - OEM or Mahle/Hiflo

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Oil Filters - OEM or MAHLE

Post by David. »

Mahle or Hi-flo oil filters are half the price of BMW OEM ones.

The BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty Policy Handbook T&C's state,

"Genuine parts, or parts of equivalent specification must be used."

Would be interesting to know what the BMW dealer would say if you presented them with a non-OEM oil filter to be fitted at the service.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What protects an £8K+ engine from contamination in the oil. An OEM fuel filter.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"Hi-Flo Oil filters are as good as OEM filters and sometimes even better.
Hi-Flo was the first company who let the German TÜV test their filters.
Because of this the use of Hi-Flo filters does not void the warranty of your motorcycle."

"In 1997 we introduced our second home-grown brand, Hiflofiltro, a full range of high-quality oil filters for all motorcycles. Made using only the best materials, our mission was to meet or exceed OEM filter specifications. Once this quality was achieved, the entire range was submitted to Germany's TÜV certification body for approval, and each filter was tested against the OEM filter it would replace. Hiflofiltro became the first — and is still the only — motorcycle oil filter to achieve TÜV approval. It is now established as the world's number one aftermarket oil filter, and is supplied to major OEM and private brands."

https://www.bikealert.com/about/
Last edited by David. on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

"Hi-Flo Oil filters are as good as OEM filters and sometimes even better.
Hi-Flo was the first company who let the German TÜV test their filters.
Because of this the use of Hi-Flo filters does not void the warranty of your motorcycle."

Better ask BMW Warrany on that one before fitting.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:The BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty Policy Handbook T&C's state,

timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

David. wrote: Mahle or Hi-flo oil filters are half the price of BMW OEM ones.

The BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty Policy Handbook T&C's state,

Would be interesting to know what the BMW dealer would say if you presented them with a non-OEM oil filter to be fitted at the service.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I thought Mahle was the OEM filter?  I just had my 6K service performed at the dealership, and they put a new filter on. A bit confusing because it has the BMW logo on it, and then also says MAHLE right next to it.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They might be made by the same manufacturer but nobody knows if the non BMW branded version is the same internally. You need to be a very cynical owner to believe you can buy an identical item for 50% less because it doesn't have a BNW badge on it.  But many believe that even  though they still buy the bikes.  And you have to ask who decides you have used an item of equilivent specification if anything goes wrong. 
Then there is your relationship with your dealer to consider. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: They might be made by the same manufacturer but nobody knows if the non BMW branded version is the same internally. You need to be a very cynical owner to believe you can buy an identical item for 50% less because it doesn't have a BNW badge on it.  But many believe that even  though they still buy the bikes.  And you have to ask who decides you have used an item of equilivent specification if anything goes wrong. 
Then there is your relationship with your dealer to consider.

Best course of action is to own a bike out of warranty and service it yourself. I myself buy the BMW branded oil filter over alternatives as there isn't a great deal of saving. However the air filter I was happy to replace with a HI-flo filter at half the price. I far as I can see good quality alternative replacement service parts are I'm sure just as good as branded products. Just don't buy unmarked cheap parts off eBay !

Yes I'm one off those cynical owners. BMW branded oil ! For haven sake what next BMW branded tyres !
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

timminator wrote:I thought Mahle was the OEM filter. A bit confusing because it has the BMW logo on it, and then also says MAHLE right next to it.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hi-Flo Warranty Information

"Filters manufactured by Hiflofiltro are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship and to be suitable for the application and use as originally intended by the vehicle OEM Manufacturer.

Service and replacement intervals must be according to the instructions of the engine’s OEM Manufacturer. Any filter proven defective during the engine or equipment manufacturer’s recommended service intervals and vehicle’s intended use will be replaced at no charge.

In the event of an engine or equipment failure directly caused by a defective Hiflofiltro filter, which was properly installed and changed following the engine or equipment manufacturer’s recommended service intervals and during the normal use of the vehicle, Hiflofiltro will repair the damaged engine or equipment. Hiflofiltro makes no other warranty of any kind, whether expressed or implied and do not take any responsibility upon eventual, incidental and/or sequential damages involved in the use of their products.

Claims for engine or equipment repairs provided under this warranty must be submitted within 30 days after discovery of damage. Hiflofiltro Technical Services Department reserves the right to examine the engine or equipment and filter to determine the amount of damage and whether it was caused by a defective Hiflofiltro filter.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights. Engine and equipment manufacturer’s warranties remain in effect when Hiflofiltro filters are used."
Last edited by David. on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:I myself buy the BMW branded oil filter over alternatives as there isn't a great deal of saving.
The BMW branded oil filter is £15.76, both the Mahle OC306 & Hi-FLo HF164 alternatives can be purchased for around half this price.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They just have to be exactly the and then and a saving of £7 once a year mustn't be sniffed at. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I think the point here is that if your bike is under warranty you can't afford to use non BMW parts because you'll be giving them the perfect excuse not to pay up. Outside of the warranty it's purely your risk.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

B787MECH wrote: I think the point here is that if your bike is under warranty you can't afford to use non BMW parts because you'll be giving them the perfect excuse not to pay up. Outside of the warranty it's purely your risk.

Quite
panaray

Post by panaray »

Anything related to oil brings interesting forum dialogs. I had not seen one for filters, however.

I speculate that OEM, Mahle, K&N and Hi Flo perform above threshold of acceptance, as long as the oil I'd changed frequently. I for one take the more expensive route of changing oil every 2k miles or less, and with Synthetics.

Besides, how complex can it be to design something that consists only of extruded steel, punched steel, spring(s), synthetic rubber, and paper(of some sort)?

Let the bullets fly!