Oil Filters - OEM or Mahle/Hiflo

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
guest2360

Re: Oil Filters - OEM or MAHLE

Post by guest2360 »

Changing the oil every 2k or LESS.  VERY ECO unfriendly and surely unnecessary. 😱😱😱
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

panaray wrote:

Besides, how complex can it be to design something that consists only of extruded steel, punched steel, spring(s),synthetic rubber, and paper(of some sort)?

Let the bullets fly!
No bullets, and for the most part I agree with you, but there are some differences.  What separates a good oil filter from a cheap on is generally the amount and quality of filtration material, whether it includes an anti-drainback valve, and ultimately the flow rate.  The capacity of the filter can vary as well, having a small impact on the total quantity of oil in the system.

Some filters only remove particles down to 35 microns, some 20, and expensive ones will filter down to 10 microns.    What's more important to understand is the flow rate.  If it's lower than the OEM specs, then your oil pump is working harder.

Does any of this matter?  Hard to say.  A lower quality oil filter isn't something that's going to leave you stranded on the side of the road.  It's a risk of a slight uptick in engine wear, that won't manifest for a long time (probably well after the warranty has expired).

My plan with the oil filter, and with everything else on the bike, stick with dealership and OEM for the first 3 years and then do my own thing.
Last edited by timminator on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Think Oil filters, oil and brake pads are really important. But I also know that BMW do not manufacture those bits themselves, they just stick their logo on and charge more. So if you can find stuff that is of the same spec or higher, then there is nothing wrong (IMHO) of using them and saving some cash. First 2 years use OEM, then if you service yourself use equivalent spec and save some hard earned.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Email reply from a BMW Warranty Claims Engineer.

"Checking with BMW UK they unable to confirm if an independent oil filter was suitable, as they would only recommend the manufactures BMW’s own products as these have been approved.

I am sure you will understand whilst some parts may be of equivalent specifications we are unable to check every item.

From the Insured Warranty point of view we offer in the terms and conditions alternatives to allow you as a customer the choice.

If a failure was as a consequence of a non-covered item or a NON BMW part the repair would not be covered via the Insured Warranty.

Whilst I understand this is not directly answering I hope it has given sufficient advice to allow you to decide how you would like to service your vehicle."

My response to the above email.

Why in the Insured Warranty T&C's offer, "alternatives to allow you as a customer the choice."
Then say, "if a failure was as a consequence of a NON BMW part the repair would not be covered via the Insured Warranty."

It doesn't make sense & they haven't answered the question, except by inference.

Perhaps the Insured Warranty Policy Handbook T&C's should be looked at, as they are misleading.

"Care of your motorcycle - you must keep your motorcycle in an efficient and road worthy condition and regularly service it in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and genuine parts, or parts of equivalent specification must be used."
Last edited by David. on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Makes sense to me.  How are they to know what you have used and where it came from if they did not supply it in the first place.  . At the end of the day we are talking about a miserable £7.00. difference.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With a 10% dealer discount, the BMW OEM oil filter would be £14.18, making the saving less than £6 against a Mahle or Hi-flo oil filter.

Last edited by David. on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

These oil filters even have a 2 year warranty, same as BMW OEM parts, https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem ... gL85PD_BwE

Like the BMW OEM part, a bit of a waste of time since they have to be changed every year.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panaray

Post by panaray »

RTman10 wrote: Changing the oil every 2k or LESS.  VERY ECO unfriendly and surely unnecessary. 😱😱😱
I'm no environmentalist. That's for sure!  However, I've learned a lesson long time ago with smoking (albeit due to mfg defect) air cooled bikes in the past, so an ounce (more like a gallon 😀) of prevention is what I follow.

If the filter is of modern performance , I suspect it'll be ok, IMO.

In case you don't like what you like, there are creative ways to use your unused filter, I have found 🏍https://youtu.be/7t_pcWPdSDs

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Nice one, we call them silencers in the UK, but we are not allowed to use silencers in normal shooting  8)
panaray

Post by panaray »

Here it is, everyone. A filter review
https://youtu.be/te8hFvbY4RY
It's gotta be true because it's on the internet! No more filter arguments please!
Last edited by panaray on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Spot the difference.

panaray

Post by panaray »

David. wrote: Spot the difference.
This man wins the prize.  Excellent point. 

Which is which? (no...wait don't tell me yet until others chime in....)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Spot the difference.

The paint finish on the MAHLE looks better then the OEM  ;) [size=78%] [/size]
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Duh the BMW ones leaking!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Come on guys, you're not taking this seriously enough, there isn't a difference, except the price.

Materials

"To achieve our quality aims and to ensure the consistency of our products, we use only premium materials from well known manufacturers: steel from Toyota Tsusho and NKK Japan, glue from Henkel Germany, filter paper from Ahlstrom Filtration Finland, Hollingsworth & Vose USA and Awa Paper Japan."

Well, at least it shouldn't fall to bits, the glue is from Germany.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.