Pick it up 8/5

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
helyun

Pick it up 8/5

Post by helyun »

Great to be back w BMW and be a part of this forum...Wednesday I pick up my new 2015 RT. Fully loaded. Cant wait to get her rolling and lay down some miles....let me ask you folks for advise! Is there anything (subject or accessory) I should cover, before I leave the dealership?

What will be the hardest feature to get used to?  i am vertically challenged so I know I have to be careful when on my toes!!

Look forward to contributing t o this board when I know more....Wish me luck!
guest2360

Re: Pick it up 8/5

Post by guest2360 »

I'm 29 inside leg and find the low seat (no cost option) just right if a little firm. I also fitted the OEM head protectors and a cheap fender extender.
If you have Pro Shift it takes a little practice but I find it next to perfect.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi  helyun, and welcome to the forum, enjoy your `new toy',  -  I agree with RTman10 on what to get -good luck  ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Hi Helyun - welcome.

Hope you didm;t get one of the slow colours...
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Hi. New bike brilliant I'm sure you are going to enjoy her. My only bit of advice is run the bike in properly. Modern engines are manufactured to very high tolerances but that still need a running period. The first 100 miles go real gently get to know the bike and scrub the new tyres in. Then start to work the engine. Do not labour or redline but work the engine. Find bendy roads where you can be changing speed, go up and down the gearbox and give the engine some load. What you do not want to do is sit on a freeway at constant speed - constant load for long periods. Increase this loading each 100 miles so by the end of the running period after the first service the engine will be ready for full throttle. Then play time starts !
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

My advice consider 12 months ahead and those additional extras you think you may need and get a deal with the dealer for discount: top box; Nav V; touring screen; etc. Because they are all mega expensive without some incentives. Welcome what BMW did you used to have as you said nice to be back?
helyun

Post by helyun »

Thanks for all the advice!

FYI my motorcycle resume reads as follows; 305 Honda Superhawk, BSA 650 Lightning Rocket, BMW R26, BMW R50, 850 Norton Commando, BMW 1100S, Ducati ST4S (996), Ducati Diavel....and now ...(drum roll please)  BMW RT1200
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Like an exotic resume, nice bikes, welcome I am sure you will love the fat lady she goes a treat  :))
Rollmaster

Post by Rollmaster »

Levisp wrote: Hi. New bike brilliant I'm sure you are going to enjoy her. My only bit of advice is run the bike in properly. Modern engines are manufactured to very high tolerances but that still need a running period. The first 100 miles go real gently get to know the bike and scrub the new tyres in. Then start to work the engine. Do not labour or redline but work the engine. Find bendy roads where you can be changing speed, go up and down the gearbox and give the engine some load. What you do not want to do is sit on a freeway at constant speed - constant load for long periods. Increase this loading each 100 miles so by the end of the running period after the first service the engine will be ready for full throttle. Then play time starts !

This is excellent advice and couldn't agree more as I've had several people tell me this and have done exactly the way you describe on my past two MC's.  What would you recommend for first break-in oil change mileage?  The dealer told me on my last boxer to change oil at 500 miles.  I'm asking because I'm picking up my new RT today.  Thanks.
helyun

Post by helyun »

You should of seen me after I left the dealer...Tooling down the country roads, listening to sirius radio with a BIG SMILE on my face!!
The RT turns by itself, feels smooth and is a pleasure to ride...Glad I bought it...BUT it is too tall for me I need a leg stretcher.....lol
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

My handbook says first service after running in 500 - 1200 Km or 310 - 745 miles. My dealer said not before 500 miles. I actually got mine done at 725 miles. Take your pick.
Last edited by Levisp on Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have always had mine serviced after 600 miles and none of them over the years have ever used oil after the first service.  I would never do it under 600 miles as it doesn't give the engine enough time to bed in. If anything do it later rather than early.