Pre or Post '14 RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
sgtgarnier

Re: Pre or Post '14 RT?

Post by sgtgarnier »

I'm absolutely astounded by your remarks. I owned a 2006 RT ,got on the 2015 RT and was totally blown away by its performance. There is no comparison between the 2015 RT and 2006. They are completely different motorcycles from the frame up. I think you really need to reevaluate the ride you took.
Technology really does advance in eight or nine years.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

sgtgarnier wrote: I'm absolutely astounded by your remarks. I owned a 2006 RT ,got on the 2015 RT and was totally blown away by its performance. There is no comparison between the 2015 RT and 2006. They are completely different motorcycles from the frame up. I think you really need to reevaluate the ride you took.
Technology really does advance in eight or nine years.

Hard to disagree.  I tried the last of the air-cooled RTs and it helped me decide to stick with my Multistrada.  I tried the first of the liquid-cooled RTs and bought one....
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yup have to agree with you Richard. However they are different bikes which will appeal to different rider styles. The LC bike appeals to the sportier rider. Thats not to say the earlier versions are bad bikes, quite the contrary they are just may be not as quick.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Well m'lud I would like waynesdios back in the stand for cross examination of his state of mind on the day and to establish he had not consumed prescriptive or non prescriptive drugs  ;) ;)  on the day of his test ride as I feel we are all astounded by his findings.  >:(
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

Spencert231 wrote: Well m'lud I would like waynesdios back in the stand for cross examination of his state of mind on the day and to establish he had not consumed prescriptive or non prescriptive drugs  ;) ;)  on the day of his test ride as I feel we are all astounded by his findings.  >:(
Short answer, I just bought fully loaded castile gray RT. Its being shipped up from Hollywood so I wont have it for about a week.

Long answer, Well I got back on board the same bike as Thur, but this time told the dealer my issues/concerns of the previous demo ride. We set the bike up dynamic/hard and I went off and did the same lap. In a word, it's better. The breathlessness after 4-5k rpm is better and so is the throttle response. The motor still isn't as snappy as the R, but after speaking w the dealer its engineered to not be that way. Heavier flywheel/alternator, taller gearing and the shear mass of the whole bike. This is a touring sport bike in that order. Seems my apple oranges comparison w the R wasn't just.

At the end of the day the RT has everything I want/need. I ride ~150mi/3hrs a day for work through the elements and I will be much less fatigued on the RT vs my modded R. I did the cost ratios of new vs near new RT's and for me, the new RT is the way to go. I kinda feel like I'm turning in my hot rod in for a mini van, but at 45 I'm not trying to be hooligan anymore.

I attached the build sheet.
Attachments
RT sheet.jpg
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

wayneosdias wrote: Short answer, I just bought fully loaded castile gray RT. Its being shipped up from Hollywood so I wont have it for about a week.

Assuming that's the same colour we over here call Callisto Grey, congratulations - you just bought a rocket ship...

;) ;)
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Top man glad you revisited and made a good choice particularly as it's the fastest colour, that's color to you, but we know what you meant  :whistle: