Near side headlight bulb replacement

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Zebedee

Near side headlight bulb replacement

Post by Zebedee »

So the near side headlight bulb went out and after help from Max BMW I've replaced it, however still no light. The original bulb was clearly broken on the filament so no reason to suspect anything else. I bought a twin pack of replacement H7 bulbs and have tried both, thinking one may be faulty but not both. Anyone got a fix or am I off to be fleeced at the dealers. Any and all help will be much appreciated.
guest2360

Re: Near side headlight bulb replacement

Post by guest2360 »

If its the bulb gone you get a warning on the dash.  If you haven't got that and the bulb socket looks OK I don't think you have much choice but ask your local friendly dealer to have a look. 
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I'am going to ask silly question, try hi beams
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

T6pilot wrote: I'am going to ask silly question, try hi beams

Done think that will help as its a separate centre bulb.
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Problem solved, I was introduced to an old chap expert in all things BMW. He told me that the boxers don't like cheap bulbs and insisted that I visit Halfords and pay £ 9.99 for a proper bulb. Guess what? It worked. Seems the beemers are fussy about resistance and such. Moral of the story, buy cheap, buy twice.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Would'nt have guessed that one,  glad you got it sorted..... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Zebedee wrote: Problem solved, I was introduced to an old chap expert in all things BMW. He told me that the boxers don't like cheap bulbs and insisted that I visit Halfords and pay £ 9.99 for a proper bulb. Guess what? It worked. Seems the beemers are fussy about resistance and such. Moral of the story, buy cheap, buy twice.
You saved a bit had you of course bought one instead of three .  Ones in BMW boxes are about £12.00, Osram I think.  You only have to put them in once though.
Mark05RT

RH headlight bulb replaced today!

Post by Mark05RT »

....but boy, did I make heavy weather of it!

For info....used an OTS H7 @ £6 from the local car spares....worked a treat but what a job replacing it!

Thought initially I'd get away without removing the fairing panel. I was wrong on that score of course.

Tried, centre stand, side stand, sitting on, kneeling on the floor.

Thought I'd check out MAX BMW on You Tube. Interesting but it's easy with the headlight unit on the work bench!

Eventually, after dropping the bulb inside the unit, TWICE! And about 30 minutes of fairly blue language, I did it....from the front reaching under and to the back of the unit.

Simple job in the end.... But how many more out there suffered the same sore and scrapped back of hands!

Please tell me I'm not alone on that! And please tell me there's an easier way!
BMW R1200RT SE 2010
Catfunt

Post by Catfunt »

It's a fiddly s.o.b. for sure. Luckily they don't go that often (touch wood!!)
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I know what you mean. I have just replaced my indicator and tail stop bulbs for leds on my ST1300. The rear indicators you get to from under the pillion seat. Turn 90 degrees anti-clockwise and remove. Sure very funny ! It took me 2 hours to do the rear indicators. The jobs done but my hands were sore. However I now have led lights which are much brighter and should last. Still not quite as good as my RT lights but much better than original.

So your not alone. Have not replaced any bulbs on my RT yet but I'm sure looking forward to it. :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If its any constellation to those yet to do it, the left band one in no trouble at all. It's the cruise control box that makes things difficult.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Removing the Upper Fairing Panel (4 Screws), certainly makes access a lot easier.

This video shows the bulb being replaced without removing the Panel, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuvgi7Xt45E

I'd agree about the cheap bulb scenario, it does seem to be false economy, had several "pop" myself before investing in better quality, more expensive bulbs.

The failures always seemed to occur when hitting the "Start Button" & on the LHS, don't remember having to change a RHS bulb.
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

Zebedee wrote: So the near side headlight bulb went out and after help from Max BMW I've replaced it, however still no light. The original bulb was clearly broken on the filament so no reason to suspect anything else. I bought a twin pack of replacement H7 bulbs and have tried both, thinking one may be faulty but not both. Anyone got a fix or am I off to be fleeced at the dealers. Any and all help will be much appreciated.
Using a bulb mounted in a holder check for a voltage ie an illuminated bulb. Work back along the harness until you find the fault.  It is usually either a poor connection or a broken cable.  In this case you can use a continuity tester to check continuity of the cable lefty and a needle with one of the leads attached to it can be used were the feeder cable disappears into a harness
Bikerman1042