YET MORE RUMOURS ABOUT FRENCH BIKE LAWS.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

YET MORE RUMOURS ABOUT FRENCH BIKE LAWS.

Post by guest2360 »

It would seem that France has dug up the high vis vest regs for bikers again and saying they must be carried and worn if you stop on the road. This is from January 2016. The AA have also published that helmet stickers are back. I have noticed that BMW Motorrad France still show them with no stickers though. Spencert , can you clarify, being a partial local. Its nice to know us Brits get on with everybody, all the time. .
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Re: YET MORE RUMOURS ABOUT FRENCH BIKE LAWS.

Post by stelyn »

Snap, I also read an article on a French Site recently, that detailed, not, the wearing of reflective jackets whilst riding, but as the RTman says to be carried and then worn if off the Bike at the roadside, for example a breakdown or incident.  That's one for rider and one for pillion. The Helmet `stickers do not apply to motorcyclist `tourists' visiting France..... ( but watch this space it is France after all.... :whistle: )
Last edited by stelyn on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Yeah, it's true which means it brings the hi-vis ruling close to what is required of other motorists. So to clarify the fine for failure to have an hi-vis at hand is between €11 - 135 i.e. If you are pulled over for whatever reason it's €11 if you do not have one. If you have broken down and the gendarme spot you and you are not wearing one €135 is the fine.

Personally I don't see it has a big deal as we all drive with one or two on the back of the driver/passenger seat so always at hand. With bikes like the RTLC again no big deal I carry one in the 'near side' pannier along with documentation so if ever pulled I'm on the safe side of moving traffic.

The helmet sticker rule no change there it is still required by law. I never knew there was a difference between a visitor not requiring the appropriate ones and a resident needing too? My guess is the gendarme who pulls you will be the judge of that one. Most gendarme bike patrols are pretty good blokes if you are being sensible and respect the job they do, but if you are reckless, inconsiderate or disrespectful, well they have a huge checklist and some of those measures are quite draconian, such as preventing you from riding your bike.

It really is no big deal it's not as if they are asking you to add another kilogram to your luggage, just put it somewhere convenient.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Have you got an way of getting a definitive answer on the helmet sticker issue, like a visit to your local cop shop?
Mark05RT

Post by Mark05RT »

Two trips to France this summer and saw quite a few French registered bike riders wearing hi viz....some more effectively than others!
BMW R1200RT SE 2010
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I will check locally, in the meantime check this out [size=18px]France: compulsory reflective stickers on all helmets | UK France ...

ukfrancebikers.com/.../france-compulsory-reflective-stickers-on-all-helmets...
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Personally I cant see the problem of stickers on helmets,  I did mine a couple of years ago  and they are still on  ( I cant see the point in them though).

They look ok I suppose.    I always wear a fluorescent jacket.

What about the Breathalyser law re carrying your own , has that one been rescinded ?

Don't they have a law re sat navs that have camera locations shown as well ?

Good owd GB stick a helmet on and yer right enough.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

step2534 wrote: Personally I cant see the problem of stickers on helmets,  I did mine a couple of years ago  and they are still on  ( I cant see the point in them though).

They look ok I suppose.    I always wear a fluorescent jacket.

What about the Breathalyser law re carrying your own , has that one been rescinded ?

Don't they have a law re sat navs that have camera locations shown as well ?

Good owd GB stick a helmet on and yer right enough.

Step2534, when I said the gendarme has a checklist he can call on I was not kidding and your observation are just a few. Remember it's a €1500 fine if he checks your satnav and finds speed camera alerts.

For those of us who have Shark Evoline (Fench manufacturer) they come with stickers and how to place them correctly on helmet to meet French Law.

STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Sorry to say , but I and also my biker friends has dropped France as a holiday object.
I don’t know how many days I have in the French Alps, and also on the way to Spain / Portugal, but no more.

And reason is all about how the French always want to make it as difficult as possible for the tourists.
The last two-tree years I was traveling there - I really got the feeling from hotels and also from the police - that tourists is something “we” really don't want.

So - now I’m spending my money else where.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have no problem with the vest issue except you wouldn't be able to see I had one on with my AirShell jacket.  I still think dumb stickers on my helmet are not required for tourists.  I will keep digging.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

STeinar in my experience of the French they will always try and help and I have many stories of that. There is of course the perceived arrogance that we attach to them, which I have not experienced. I am old enough to remember school propaganda and the things my teachers used to tell me about the enemies of my country Germany, France, Southern Ireland, and the arrogance and big headed Americans and pompous Australians. Before anybody wants to string me up or shoot me let me say I have never met anyone from those countries who when I have asked a request or a favour has not helped me. Well I have travelled America and can say they are great people, worked in Germany and love them to bits, live in France been helped by them and ripped off by Brits.

I just think STeinar it's a case of foreigner on unknown territory outside of their comfort zone and two cultures clashing. However, you may well have had a bad experience and haven't we all in fact I have with my own nationality on my renovation who gave me sub standard work for top money , wanker.

Give them another chance you never know you may meet the best friend you don't know yet?

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I definitely give them a second chance if they don't make me put daft stickers on my hat.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

What a load of cobblers. So High Viz stickers on my white crash hat is going to make me safer. Sorry mate didn't see your rather large and obvious RT with its DRLs or your bright white crash helmet but those stickers smacked me in the gob, woke me from my daze and alerted me to your presence. If it was winter, cold wet and grey I might have been wearing my High Viz Revit over jacket, in which case I see a few helmet stickers as rather irrelevant.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Spencert231 - What I was trying to say - was - that I have been traveling all over France from late 70’ - and always had a nice time there.

But - the last tree years I was there - it started to be the opposite.
The hotels was not friendly anymore (Not all off course!) - the Police was nothing like polite or friendly when I tried to ask for help with a pay-station on the motorway - or other similar situations.

Had a really unfriendly happening in a hotel restaurant , when I was indeed weary kindly asking if there was a possibility to have a bear as I was not drinking vine.
Oboy - I could write pages of what happen then - it was one of the most humiliating situation I have ever been in - and my life was more than shocked.

And now they are starting to make the life for the bikers difficult - breathalyzer - helmet stickers - music in the year - fluorescent vests - camera location in sat nav - etc etc

Whats going on in this country now ????

To be absolute clear - I don't talk about French people in general - they have always been very kind / friendly and helpful !!!!

And this is not only my observation - It’s the same from many of my friends - and quite  a few has just done the same as I and my wife - just go somewhere else.

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I can't defend that STeinar you have had some bad experiences. By the way Wales is nice, give them a go.