New to the RT forum

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

New to the RT forum

Post by Steve F »

Hello!
Yes, another convert from the K bikes. I'll be P/X ing my K13GT for a nice shiny R1200RT next week. Test riding one last week easily convinced me how pleasant and comfortable the RT LC is! Needless to say, I'm staggered at how much BMW charge for their Navigator Sat Nag and large top box!! :not:
stelyn

Re: New to the RT forum

Post by stelyn »

Welcome to the forum Steve F, enjoy your `new toy'...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Great to have you join us Steve, try and get the dealer to help you out with the Vav and TB as you alluded they are expensive.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Steve F wrote: Needless to say, I'm staggered at how much BMW charge for their Navigator Sat Nag and large top box!! :not:
I've had an RT before but now just awaiting for mine to arrive from Germany  :) and yes the stuff is expensive and to be honest the price of the new box compared to the previous model is ridiculous.
I'll be getting a Garmin Zumo 660 to use as the Nav is too much money for the remote use, only thing is I have a Zumo 590 which won't fit  :'(
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Spencert231 wrote: Great to have you join us Steve, try and get the dealer to help you out with the Vav and TB as you alluded they are expensive.
Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I will be nagging the dealer to offer some discount on those two items.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You can use the old type top box but although the specs say its the same weight as the new one it is not. You can also get the non electric new top box which us much cheaper and not far off the price of the old one.
The new Nav V is expensive but is a far superior bit of kit. Bigger brighter screen and better prompts and more detailed screens. The 660 has been out if production for some time now.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: You can use the old type top box but although the specs say its the same weight as the new one it is not. You can also get the non electric new top box which us much cheaper and not far off the price of the old one.
The new Nav V is expensive but is a far superior bit of kit. Bigger brighter screen and better prompts and more detailed screens. The 660 has been out if production for some time now.
When I had my last RT in 2010 it was £500 for the topbox, at £800 without the electrics that's a hell of an increase in price ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No its £800 with the electrics.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: No its £800 with the electrics.
Not at my dealers  ???
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

GIVI do a Top Box for the LC RT, http://www.1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1 ... l#msg11014.

Garmin Zumo 660's are available from Handtec, http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-zumo-66 ... wwodcFYLWA.
I've had mine for 4 years without any problems, covered thousands of miles, all over Europe & Scandinavia.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Benchmark wrote: Not at my dealers ???
Ask him to quote the price of two versions.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote:
Benchmark wrote: Ask him to quote the price of two versions.
Can't remember the exact price but the previous version was around £550 and the new one (without electrics, carpet etc) £800
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Benchmark wrote: Can't remember the exact price but the previous version was around £550 and the new one (without electrics, carpet etc) £800

He seems to have misread the price list.  Ask him what the new one costs with central locking, brake light mounting and mat.  The difference between the 2 is over £200.00 so if he tells you £1000 + you know he's got his wires crossed.  Somebody on here must have bought one and knows the exact price.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Welcome Steve. I bought the old model topbox as I too couldn't swallow the rip off price of the new style. It looks absolutely fine on the bike. I've read that the new RT's no longer have continental tyres fitted as standard now... Can you update on this as I  noticed a new RT at Hawes recently with conti's on!