New to the RT forum

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest3074

Re: New to the RT forum

Post by guest3074 »

Chad wrote: Can you update on this as I  noticed a new RT at Hawes recently with conti's on!
My colleague at work has just got his and although I didn't bend down to look the tread looks like Michelin Pilot Road to me  :)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Welcome Steve.

I initially solved the topbox problem by simply not having one - I think the bike looks much better without.

Eventually I caved in though and for commuting I take the panniers off and use the small 28L BMW top box - cost me around £200 from memory and doesn't interfere too much with the looks of the bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote: Welcome Steve.
I initially solved the topbox problem by simply not having one - I think the bike looks much better without.
Eventually I caved in though and for commuting I take the panniers off and use the small 28L BMW top box - cost me around £200 from memory and doesn't interfere too much with the looks of the bike.

Also got the sane one.  Great but of kit. 
Crater

Post by Crater »

It's a well-worn argument on this site. Get genuine BMW accessories (and don't forget the price of color matching that BMW topbox if you want the integrated look) but at some expense. Or look at alternatives, some of which are as good and often considerably cheaper. An evening trawling through the older postings here is really useful in helping you make up your mind.
I got my Nav V from a dealer for £500. It's the first time I've used a satnav on a bike and I am deeply impressed. But being a cheapskate (if you can call anyone who has bought an RT lc that) I am running a £45 Chinese Bluetooth intercom on my helmet. Seems to work OK.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Yes, a bit research is required on my part re deciding on top box and other bling! Regarding the tyres on new R12RTs, I've so far seen Metzlers and Bridgestones on two models. When I asked the dealer what was the Beemer preferred tyre option, the answer was "whatever's to hand"!!!! Surely not ?? I'll report back when I clap my eyes on my new steed, hopefully tomorrow.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Steve F wrote: I'll report back when I clap my eyes on my new steed, hopefully tomorrow.
Lucky you  :) not sure when mine arrives  :(
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I think there's some truth in what the salesman said about tyres as you can see bikes at different times arriving with different tyre brands. Normally though its Z8s and PR4s with the other brands filling in when those two are in short supply. .
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The BMW recommended Tyre Options for a LC RT are as above, Z8's & PR4's plus Continental RA 2GT's.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I put a Gasseroies case on new RT, it was previously on my 1600gt and my 1200gs before
Perfect size, stays on bike full time
Now for tires this is my second BMW that came with Z8's
Truly dislike the tire, will be putting PR4's on very soon
8's have about 600 miles on them
Free to good home in the Orange County area of california
Jim
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

So, having had a gorp today at my new steed to be in the showroom, and signing registration forms etc, I also had a gander at the rubber bits! PR4s fitted to mine and also to the other clutch of shiny new sold bikes which included a GS1200, a R1200RS and a S1000XR. Anyway, good tyres fitted so all's well there at least.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Re the topbox conundrum, there are some real bargains on eBay for the genuine 49ltr boxes. Silver ones look ok but if you want it colour coded you can get this done for £125-150 if you shop around. Paying less will invariably result is a poor finish but given that unmarked boxes can be sought for £300- it takes some justifying paying £600-£800 or what ever for a new one. You certainly ain't gonna get that money back when you trade in... Personally I think that if you've gone to the expense of buying a premium bike- do you really want to put a low budget box on it & kill the looks of the bike..?!