Route transfer to 660

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
BeeJay

Route transfer to 660

Post by BeeJay »

Hello, I've used my Zumo 660 for several years now with no problems. With the introduction of base camp it now appears that I can only transfer files as *.gpx and not the "usual" *.gdb.
The problem is I now use mapsource to plan the route, haven't sussed base camp yet, save the file as gpx, open it in base camp and send to 660.
All maps on mapsource, basecamp and the 660 are the same City Navigator Europe 2016.10.
When I restart the 660 it says that the route was constructed on a different map and wants to recalculate it.
No problem except that the route changes, quite dramatically from the original.
Any ideas?
Thanks
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Route transfer to 660

Post by David. »

Like you, I have MapSource, Basecamp & a Zumo 660 all with the latest 2016.10 maps installed.

Have just transferred a route directly from MapSource (not via BaseCamp) to the 660, yes it wanted to recalculate the route which had been created some time ago.

On previewing the route, distance & time on both the PC & 660 were the same.

Are the Preferences (Routing) on MapSource & the Navigation Profile in the 660 the same, can you transfer the Route directly from MapSource without going to BaseCamp.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

David, thanks for the swift response, brain getting a bit tired now.
I've checked the settings and all okay.
Loaded the original file into mapsource and then the recalc and two files appeared:
original and one with -1 at the end.
The original looked okay, as far as I could see, distance was the same but time had jumped 2hrs.
The -1 file had reduced mileage about 1/2 mile with the same time, but when I looked the route was allover the place.
Deleted the -1 and loaded the file back into mapsource.
Route looked the same but was covered in waypoint flags to the extent that you could see the route.
Had enough for tonight, if not sorted tomorrow I'll give Garmin a call. Been very happy with their help in the past.
Thanks again, I'll update tomorrow

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Me thinks because Mapsource is no longer supported by Garmin its all out of date so your 660 which is in date is just putting you routes right. I find BaseCamp less user friendly but Garmin says we have to change
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Rats, I was afraid someone would say that.
Ah well, time to get the tutorial out for basecamp.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Bertie wrote:As you notice from the file (.gbd) they have been done in Mapsource and not Basecamp so you may have to convert them.
Bertie sent me a couple of Routes which he had created in MapSource, they were from Europort to Arnsberg & Arnsberg to Goslar.

Have transferred them to my 660 without any problems, on previewing, they checked out OK.
The distances are the same, time taken is slightly quicker (not unusual from PC to Device) & the shape of the Route looks the same.
Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Until last year i stuck with Mapsource mainly because when you use something for a while you  feel comfortable with it.
The thing is that all up to date Garmin Sat Nav's use the newer GPX format for route data, whereas Mapsource by default writes routes in the older .gdb format.
When i got my Nav 5 i converted my old .gdb routes to .gpx first then opened them in Basecamp, if i had updated the map set since the route was created i would recalculate in basecamp then check the route had not changed before downloading it to my Nav 5.
Basecamp is harder to learn than mapsource but is better once you get into it. I put my main waypoints on first (ignore the box that comes up with start finish points) then join it all up with the route tool remembering not to right click while using it or it terminates the route, you can modify it later with the insert tool.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Many thanks for the replies.A friend of mine has made the switch and he now finds basecamp better.
I plotted my Scotland route, going on Wednesday for a week on the west coast, on mapsource. mouse pad was a bit "touchy" so I now have three parts to it, perhaps not a bad thing. Anyway, I saved it and sent it to the 660, no problem, no recalc and it looks okay.

I had read an article in this month's BMW magazine about basecamp and was going to use that as a starting point.
Must persevere but not let it get in the way of riding.
Off to the Peaks tomorrow, then Scotland on Wednesday, isn't life grand.......
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

barryj wrote:I plotted my Scotland route, going on Wednesday for a week on the west coast, on mapsource. mouse pad was a bit "touchy" so I now have three parts to it, perhaps not a bad thing.
Anyway, I saved it and sent it to the 660, no problem, no recalc and it looks okay.
Does this mean you did a Route on MapSource then transferred it directly to your 660 & it worked OK.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Yes, in as much as it did transfer, did not prompt to recalc as maps were different and when viewed on the 660, it looked okay.
I suppose the proof will be to download the route into mapsource and take a look.
I do like mapsource !
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When installing Map Updates from Garmin Express to the PC & Device, they go to both MapSource & BaseCamp on the PC, inc. the Device.

Therefore, I don't see any reason not to continue to use MapSource if you prefer it.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Are you sure Mapsource is being updated as Garmin stated over two years ago they were not supporting it any more. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at MapSource & BaseCamp on my PC, I have the option to select from the following Maps/Updates in both cases, 2014.4, 2015.2, 2015.4 & 2016.1.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just looked at Garmin.com for Mapsource  updates. The latest version  which apparently is only applicable to some US kit us dates 2010
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Living at Ingleby Barwick, (near Stockton-on-Tees),a Housing Estate which is still being built on, MapSource shows the new developments from 2014 to 2016, the same as BaseCamp.

If anyone knows of any recently opened roads, I will check them both on MapSource & BaseCamp, thanks.