General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Bit close to the wire!

Post by smileymiley »

Filled up today after our week in Yorkshire..
1 mile left in tank!
23.83 litres
1.17 litres left!
249 miles for the tankful.
Helmsley TT both ways, A1, then A616 from Ollerton to Newark, A46 to home.
47.7 mpg
Got a pic of the dashboard but can't upload it!
Cheers
Miles
Last edited by smileymiley on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Re: Bit close to the wire!

Post by guest2360 »

47.7 mpg.  Been giving it some well then. 
guest3091

Post by guest3091 »

Top it off and go again.  I've been averaging a little over 50mpg and get well over 300 miles per tank.  Even with 47.7 mpg you should be able to go 300 miles.  :eek:  Scary though isn't it?
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

RTman10 wrote: 47.7 mpg.  Been giving it some well then.
Just a bit !!

I get more than that on my K1600GT
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
guest3091

Post by guest3091 »

Okay Smiley;  I topped off today.  Only 5 miles from my house to the gas station so we can add that to my remaining miles before empty.

I live at about 950 ft altitude, but have been riding up to about 5,500 ft. 

Nothing much seems to affect my average mpg, which of course is what the canbus uses to calculate the miles to empty.

Go Get 'Em.[attachimg=3]
Attachments
P1020181.jpg
P1020176.jpg
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Are we talking US Galls or UK Galls. I find my average consumption over reads by up to 2 to 3 mpg.
guest3091

Post by guest3091 »

Good point Levisp;  I was assuming US Gallons, but a US gallon is only 83% of an imperial gallon.  Therefore Imperial Gallon mileage should be more than US Gallon mileage.  Bigger gallons = more miles.  I would say run it down as close to zero as possible, fill it up, reset trip meters and compare the actual mileage ridden to the "mileage remaining" estimate given by the CANBUS.  Mine is so close to perfectly accurate it's uncanny.  I also get about 52 mpg no matter the terrain or riding conditions.  Most of my riding is done with a fully loaded bike.

I didn't even know it was possible to get the bike to read in imperial gallons.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Barnes1210 as far as I can see you cannot change the fuel units. I'm guessing the units such as US Gall, Imperial Gall or Litres is set by the factory or dealer using their diagnostic computer appropriate to the country. Your computer will show mpg same as mine but it must be referenced to US Galls where as mine will be Imperial Galls. So if your getting 52 mpg (US) thats equivalent 62 mpg (UK) pretty good.

http://www.markporthouse.net/rangie/fue ... ersion.htm

The only way to check the computer is to do a manual mpg calculation. Fill tank full, zero trip and go ride. Next time you fill up, fill tank to full and note the number of gallons. You know from the trip how many miles you have ridden so you can now calculate your mpg. Compare this actual mpg with the computer estimate and see how accurate it is. As stated in my earlier post mine over reads. If the computer says average 60 mpg my calculated actual is more like 58 mpg.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

The mileage that I originally gave was with the manual calculation method. I have put a mark in the filler tube to which I put the fuel up to, so I'm putting nigh on the same amount each fill. The bike computer said 50.3 mpg for the same tankful, I always zero that too every fill...
100 miles per week is solo on fast A B roads, to & from work, the rest of the time the bike is loaded with top box & SWMBO on board.
Would love to know how you can get 60+mpg out of the RT!
Cheers
Miles
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I guess ride long distance with no stop start at sensible speeds. My best to date is 59 mpg. My normal riding is between 52 - 56 mpg but thats only doing small amounts of looning. Two up autoroute 80 mph I averaged 52 mpg. Overall a very economical bike.