Tank Bag Advice

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2368

Tank Bag Advice

Post by guest2368 »

So what is everyone using in the way of tank bags on the RTLC?  I fancy one of the tanklock types (Givi, SW Motech, etc.)  Top of the list right now is the Givi XS308 that seems to fit the tank quite well.  Any and all comments welcome...

John
guest2360

Re: Tank Bag Advice

Post by guest2360 »

I reckon two pannier and a top box is enough for anyone.  Bought one for my 09 as it had the ultimate fitting system but only used it once. Pre sat nav days they had their uses but not now.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With a Volume of 20 litres, the GIVI XS308 is a large Tankbag, http://www.givi.co.uk/soft-bags/Tank%20 ... 20TANKLOCK

The pre-LC BMW Tankbag expands from 13 to 19 litres, http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw ... -2012.html

I don't use mine fully expanded, find it gets in the way too much.

The A4 size map pocket is useful, having some written instructions to back up the Sat. Nav. proved helpful on our recent visit to Norway.

The Tankbag is used for spare gloves, waterproofs & layers etc., keeps everything together for rider & pillion.
Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

SW Motech for me
Attachments
IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I'm with Levisp,  the SW Motech is the one I will get
I prefer the locking ring of the Motech stuff as it looks neater when the bag is off..  Pricey though
Budman

Post by Budman »

I use the Wolfman Ranier Bag but its pretty big. The Blackhawk bag is smaller and probably more easy to use but I needed good size bag for the month trip out west.

If I had the money for both, Id use the Blackhawk for day to day and weekend trips and keep the Ranier bag for big trips.

I dont like the ones that attach to the tank by the thing on the gas ring. Just personal prefence.

Bud
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

RTman10 wrote: I reckon two pannier and a top box is enough for anyone.  Bought one for my 09 as it had the ultimate fitting system but only used it once. Pre sat nav days they had their uses but not now.
That's the thing for me though, even though I have a sat nav on the bike I still prefer a map and or written directions.  I think you can pass too much  by not using maps.  As for capacity I go camping a lot and like to get 'lost' a bit, so I like to be self sufficient.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Maz12 wrote: I'm with Levisp,  the SW Motech is the one I will get
I prefer the locking ring of the Motech stuff as it looks neater when the bag is off..  Pricey though
Plus you still need to add a map pocket as well...
fmantek

Post by fmantek »

Me personally can not use a tank ring system, as they do not work with the keyless version I have,

Beside, from my be days I have the worlds best tank bag, and it fits nicely on the rt as well - enduristan sandstorm 3e.

Had that one in Maroccco, and, yes while most luggage fits in top case and panniers, the tank bag has the advantage to go have all your papers, maps, toll both change ready without leaving your seat. And your camera...

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll need to think through all the options.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

fmantek wrote: Me personally can not use a tank ring system, as they do not work with the keyless version I have,

Beside, from my be days I have the worlds best tank bag, and it fits nicely on the rt as well - enduristan sandstorm 3e.

Had that one in Maroccco, and, yes while most luggage fits in top case and panniers, the tank bag has the advantage to go have all your papers, maps, toll both change ready without leaving your seat. And your camera...

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have the SW-Motech Ion small tank bag with the ring, and the keyless works fine for me.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Motohaus supply SW-Motech products, http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/QUICK- ... N-One.html.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I went with the wunderlich media bar bag, I really dislike removing things to fuel bike, bag has enough room for glasses, phone and a few other odds and ends
Jim