Advice regards repainting the silver bits above the footrests

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Allrover

Advice regards repainting the silver bits above the footrests

Post by Allrover »

Hi all,
I am just in the process of bringing my recently acquired 2012 R1200RT back up to scratch after buying it for a bargain price because it was in such tatty condition. Considering its only 2 years old and done only 24,000 miles, it looks more like a bike double or triple the age between the corrosion on all the bolts, cylinder heads (BMW should be ashamed) and the wearing of all the silver paint above the footrests.
I've got replacement bolts on order, but wanted to ask for the wisdom of the forum in terms of best way to restore the silver bits. The picture below shows how the paint has worn through.

I was thinking just take the piece off as it looks easy and respray the whole piece, but where can I get matching paint from?  The only colour code I know of is for the fairing colour (Midnight Blue) which is no use here.
Can anyone advise?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Advice regards repainting the silver bits above the footrests

Post by David. »

In a previous thread, SAL was asking "what paint will match the silver on the valve covers",

he "spoke to a BMW wrench who advises duplicolor makes a silver that is a perfect match to the original. It apparently is same as GM silver in Duplicolor's catalogs."

Unfortunately, Duplicolor do more than one Silver.

A "Google Search" reveals that the likes of Wurth Silver Wheel Paint & Clear Lacquer may do the trick.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

Yeah I have seen that Wurth product mentioned but it's silver for the wheels, so I am a bit dubious. I will just order a can and try it if I can't find anyone on here that can definitively advise of the right product to use.  Its a tricky one to Google search for, I havent found any results that give me 100% confidence it is going to match, hence the post on here to see if anyone has actually done it themselves.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Once the footrest plate is off the bike, could it be taken to someone who can match the colour without a paint code e.g., http://woodlandautos.co.uk/matching-you ... es-colour/.

"In certain cases a colour code might not be available. In these situations we are still able to achieve a paint colour match. Our paint supplier has a special piece of equipment which is able to take a comprehensive, detailed digital image of the paint colour and process a colour formulation allowing us to simply mix the paint to the formulation."
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I'm guessing you want to spray the parts yourself but if not I'm sure your local spray shop will be able to match the paint. I have tried spray painting using a HVLP system and its an art form in short bloody difficult. If you want a pro finish which is durable then I would go to pro paint sprayer. You could probably save money by prepping the parts yourself and then give the pro the job of applying the finish. The result will look like new and I'm sure the cost would not be too bad. Lets us know how you get on.
Last edited by Levisp on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

My local paint sprayer can match anything. He has a spectrometer but with his experience and eye for colour he can match not only colour but the finish as well.
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

I guess I assumed it must be a relatively common problem and therefore something many people had addressed before, but maybe its just that the person who owned the bike before me had spectacularly big feet and a weird riding position that makes it just my bike thats been affected!  :nervous:
I do know a bodywork repair & spray shop not to far from me that I've used for cars before, so I'll pop it in there and see what he says.  I have ordered a can of the Wurth product, so I'll try that first.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Allrover, you want to hang on a bit ( this is a true story)

Exactly the same happened to my 2005  RT.  I went to the Birmingham bike show and to the BMW stand.

I sussed out who I thought was the most senior bloke there, I made a fuss and went to one of the bikes on display showing him and obviously others standing nearby what the problem was, saying things like "bloody ridiculous for price of bike" "no ones interested dealer doesn't want to know cos its well out of warranty"  This went on for a couple of minutes and a small crowd had now gathered.

Turn out he was a area manager, in front of everybody he gives me his card , takes the name of my dealer and says it will be sorted because it shouldn't happen. 

Good to his word all the scuffed panel were re placed within 3 weeks.  Dealer saying I don't know how you worked this one, they weren't bothered must have got paid for doing job

Sometimes I think you've got lay it on a bit thick  Obviously I was a bit lucky getting him but he had to save face especially in front of possibly new customers and his employees.

When my gearbox oil seal went (after 16000 miles 1 yr out of warranty)  BM wanted £ 600 to replace it.  I got that done  for nowt as well

I must have sent 8  E mails to Germany customer services asking to speak to a engineer. " We haven't had a issue with oil seals"

My dealer had to put a mechanic on the oil seal problem they had that many in for the fault but BM wouldn't admit it.

I think I wore them down but saved £600.  My mate who had a 1200GS paid to get his done and it was only 3 months out.

I quoted their crap that they advertise in the  sales literature and said they want prosecuting under trade descriptions act.

Try it you've nowt to loose    Good luck    Wear the buggers down :)) :))

Good luck
Pat J

Post by Pat J »

I'm taking mine off the bike over winter and getting them powder coated along with a couple of other pieces. Possibly going to get the wheels done at the same time.
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

Getting them powder coated would be a good solution I agree, as the finish is very hard wearing which it needs to be in that area.  Would be lovely to get the wheels done too as the paint finish on those is blistered and rusty too (more shame on you BMW!), however I've taken wheels of a previous bike and had them powder coated and it was a big job because you have to completely strip the wheels down - discs off, tyres off, valves out, bearings out before you can send them off to be coated, and the rebuild them again after.  I don't have the luxury of having the bike off the road over winter unfortunately as I use it every day.
Re some of the other posters, thank you. I will definitely talk to BMW when my bike goes in for its service at the end of this month before I do anything.  I'll also have a look for used parts to potentially just swap them.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Allrover wrote:I'll also have a look for used parts to potentially just swap them.
MotorWorks do Used Parts, https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 0_35_MA_45
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

Aye, and here: http://www.boonstraparts.com/en/parts/mke=BMW/mdl=R%201200%20RT%202010-2013%20(R1200RT%2010)/prt=Footrest%20Hanger%20Complete%20Left/
I got a replacement fuel filler cap from these guys a few weeks go for just over £30 delivered vs £100 for a new part from BMW. Good thing about these guys if they have several pictures of the actual part so you can see exactly what you will get. They are 75 Euros a piece, plus 20 Euros shipping and a bit to pay by Paypal. Works out about £130 in total.
It just seems a bit expensive, but I suppose relatively speaking for bike parts its not.  When I eventually come to sell the bike you would think it would make the money back too as the current bare patches will seriously put buyers off vs cleaner bikes.
There is no rush, I'm going to see what the BMW dealer says at the end of the month re a matching spray colour, and then replacement is my fall back option.