New R1200RT Owner with Question on Gear Shift Assistance

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
hdtrader

New R1200RT Owner with Question on Gear Shift Assistance

Post by hdtrader »

Hello Everybody...I just took delivery of a new 2015 R1200RT with the Gear Shift Assistance Pro.  I tired to shift without using the clutch but was not able to do it...what am I doing wrong?  Advice would be greatly appreciated...will probably have several more questions as I get more acquainted with the bike.

Thanks,
Randy
North Alabama

Last edited by hdtrader on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Re: New R1200RT Owner with Question on Gear Shift Assistance

Post by Spencert231 »

Hi HDtrader not sure what you can be doing that it doesn't work providing of course that it's fitted? 1st to 2nd is fairly hard to get smooth so the majority of us use the clutch, but once your revs are high keep it on and shift the faster your going the smoother. I am sure one of the more technical guys will give you a better version.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

For me forget 1st and 2nd.  After that as long as the bike is pulling just change up, You do not need high revs or lots of power, just as long as the bike is pulling.  To change down the throttle must be closed.  again dont  bother below third.
hdtrader

Post by hdtrader »

Thanks Spencert231 and RTman10...I've also been researching more on this subject and I think my problem was letting off the throttle to shift.  I will try your recommendations and hopefully it will work as it was engineered to do...I've fell in love with this bike!  I'm also new to BMW Touring and look forward to learning the bike features from you guys and other members on this forum.

Thanks,
Randy

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Enjoy Randy you will love it even more once you begin to understand the bike.  :-*
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

And to add. I just got my 15RT w shift assist and regardless of assist or not, the first 2K mile the gear box is super chunky and clunky. I would have thought I had a bad bike if it wasnt for the fact that the demo bike I rode only had 1600 miles on it and it was the same shifting. Now at 2.5K miles the gear box is shifting much better, but "N" is becoming a bit nebulous.
Wayne
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The gearbox on the RT is the weak part of the bike. It does get a little better with mileage but I personally think its more to do with the rider adapting rather than the box getting better. If you are having problems with gear assist then start by only using it to shift from 4 - 5 - 6 initially. On the upshift you must be positively accelerating with increase revs and don't back off the throttle when changing. The higher the revs the smoother it is. With down shifting throttle must be closed, again the bike needs to be decelerating at a reasonable rate, revs dropping, then just prod the gear lever. You need more pressure on the gear lever than you are probably use too and at first it feels very alien. The problem with gear assist is it will only work if you are either positively accelerating or decelerating. If your "cruising" it won't work. If you hate the clunk from N - 1 at standstill then try shifting 2 - N - 1 will still moving (5 mph ) just before stopping, it will just snick into 1.
hdtrader

Post by hdtrader »

Thank everybody...I'm learning the gear assist...kinda awkward at first but I like it...I like it a lot!  I found that shifting from first to second has to be immediately after take-off (short shift) for the smoothest shift.  I also noticed if I use the shift light (arrow indicator) it seems to shift easier and better through all the gears...anyway still learning it.  My next big step is the Hill Stop...don't think that will be hard to master!

BTW...I have Keyless Ride too but still confused in the event I lose my remote key fob or dead battery.  I've read the Rider's Manual but still unclear what to do for emergency starting.  Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not sure if I like this feature...but I do love this bike!

Randy
North Alabama
2015 R1200RT
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

With the Hill Stop I learned two ways:
1. Squeeze the break to apply squeeze to release; or
2. Squeeze to apply clutch in release and accelerate to pull through the break, requires a bit of a knack or you may stall when you don't want too.

Hope it helps my preference is No1
Best of luck
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have spent the last 6 hours hooning round the Highland Tourist route going over the Glenshee and Lech ski resorts. Must have changed gear using Pro shift hundreds of times, each one as smooth as silk, up and down. Never use it for anything below 3 rd. I dont totally agree you need to be pulling to change up just a neutral throttle is normally enough if your not in a hurry. My recent software update means you need a lot less pressure on the lever.
hdtrader

Post by hdtrader »

RTman10 wrote: ...My recent software update means you need a lot less pressure on the lever.

I will be changing my own fluids for the first run-in maintenance but will take the bike to my local dealer for diagnostics and any software updates.  I'm sure there is an update since the Date of Manufacture was August 2014 and I took delivery of it this month...  I've attached a pic of it...

R[attachimg=1]
Attachments
IMG_2871.jpg
Last edited by hdtrader on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

A very nice looking bike. I had the choice of ebony or calisto and went for Calisto as I liked the stealth look about it, but yours is a very nice bike too.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Hill Start is one of those features which I thought I would never use until I started riding with a pillion. When I have the wife on the back its really useful to be able to have both feet on the deck at standstill for better stability. Must admit when I'm on my own don't use it much. My technique to release Hill Start is a two stage method which I find more controllable. Hill Start activated. First gear selected clutch fully in. Apply a small amount of power/revs, slowly release clutch to the bite point, when you can feel the Hill Start release add a touch more throttle and pull away. Have a play on the level until you find your own technique.

Back to gear assist I think the more you use it the better you get. RTMan10 says he can shift on a neutral throttle. I can sometimes but I haven't quite got it sussed. I have just had my software update done so probably need to go and experiment more. Apparently gear assist on the BMW 4 cylinder bikes work much better, I guess because the gearboxes are better in the first place. Anyway have fun on your new ride :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The Pro shift on the K series bikes is old hat and only works changing up. The RT version is the dogs Bo----cks, when you get used to it.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.