Hello from a noob with a question,,, big surprise I know.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
LoneWolf

Hello from a noob with a question,,, big surprise I know.

Post by LoneWolf »

Hello all,

I've been haunting this forum for a few months now and have found an RT I'm interested in purchasing.  I have an FJR now and it's time for me to upgrade to something more comfortable.  Near me is a 2012 R1200RT with 17k on the clock.  The bike looks clean and well cared for but there is an odd wear pattern on the back tire that concerns me.  There is cupping more on the left side of the tire than the right.  Is this normal for single sided telelevel suspension or is it indicative of a swing arm problem?  I rocked the wheel when it was on the center stand and found no play side to side.  I like the bike, but if this is a problem I don't want to pay 15 large for it.

Thank you.
Attachments
20150905_111821[1].jpg
Spencert231

Re: Hello from a noob with a question,,, big surprise I know.

Post by Spencert231 »

Not being a technical man, but here's my two cents worth. I doubt that the bike being as youn as it is and with only 17k miles that if there was or had been any significant issues would have been resolved under warranty. However, I am sure there must be a way of calling up the bikes history and what repairs and issues have been associated with the bike.
My gut feeling is the guy may ride it on a route that has more left hand corners, he may even be more confident on a left than a right and be more heavy handed. Other than that best of luck.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I'd tend to agree with the above, are the "Chicken Strips" any less on the LHS of the tyre than the RHS & what make are the tyres.

From the photo, my guess is Michelin Pilot Roads 3's, I have seen examples of "Cupping" on these tyres.

Some riders do prefer one side over the other.

In the UK, an MOT Test would check the wheel alignment, is it the same in the US.

This video seems to confirm uneven tyre wear, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvhxj1Gzjjo.
Last edited by David. on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Thanks for your response.  I did a lot of reading last night and it seems this odd wear comes from driving on the right side of the road.  Our left turns travel in a larger arc than right so the tire gets more mileage on that side.  I checked my FJR in the garage and it shows the same behavior just not as severe. 

I'm impressed that you could see they were Pilot Road 3's.  That is correct. I'll call the seller up today to get service history and final details.  The banks are closed here today and tomorrow so I'll try to bring it home next week.

Thanks again.
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

Hello, incorrect tire pressure could also contribute to the cupping as well. Add the weight of the bike, and there you have it.  I have found that I have far fewer problems with tire wear when I inflate my tires to 42 lbs front and rear.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

step2534

Post by step2534 »

I would agree with rglassma maybe tyre pressures or what about rear suspension being too soft ??