ESA Rebound Damping

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
SteveD518

ESA Rebound Damping

Post by SteveD518 »

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased an '05 red R1200RT with just 8K on it. ESA was not working ( no blinking icons when changing adjustments). Went back to the shop and now the preload works (icons blink) but the rebound damping icons don't flash. If the icons don't blink is the rebound damping changing? According to the manual they're supposed to blink.
Steve
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: ESA Rebound Damping

Post by David. »

Is the motorcycle stationary when you are trying to adjust the damping.

"The damping cannot be adjusted while the motorcycle is being ridden." (Rider's Manual page 64).
Last edited by David. on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveD518

Post by SteveD518 »

My manual came with a separate 3 page section for the ESA. It says "You can adjust the damping characteristic while riding". I have tried it while riding and with the bike started and stationary. Same results, no blinking icon.
Steve
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Recently on my 2012 RT, I had the Dealers check whether the ESA Damping Settings were changing from Comfort, Normal or Sport, as, when riding, I couldn't feel any noticeable difference.

The Technician asked me to sit on the bike & bounce on the seat with the different Damping Settings selected, yes, I could feel some changes in the rebound but only small ones.

Can you feel whether the Damping Settings are changing on your bike.
SteveD518

Post by SteveD518 »

Honestly, I'm not sure. I have the preload set to 1 helmet and I've been switching the damping from Comfort to Sport. Either way the ride seems pretty stiff. I'd just like to know if the absence of a blinking icon means the damping is not being changed. When the preload icon wasn't blinking the setting wasn't changing.
Steve
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sounds like a trip back to the shop, as you & the Manual both say, "During the setting procedure, the display flashes."
Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveD518

Post by SteveD518 »

Called the dealership and waiting for a date for a pick up.
Steve
Pat J

Post by Pat J »

I have had a similar issue with my '05 RT and it is the switch which has given up the ghost. I have managed to get a new switch for a lot less than the dealer charges. All I've got to do now is work out how to remove the old one and get the new one fitted.
If anyone has replaced the switch any hints and tips greatly appreciated  8) 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Haynes Manual for 04 to 06 Models says the following:-

Remove the fuel tank.
Trace the wiring harness of the switch in question back to its connector and disconnect it, then work back along the harness, freeing it from all the relevant clips and ties, whilst noting its correct routing.
To remove either the left or right-hand switch unit, undo the screws securing the lower cover and remove it.
Undo the screws on the front and back of the switch unit and draw the unit off.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
Ensure that the wiring is correctly routed and secured by any clips and ties, and that the connector is secure.
Check the operation of the switch.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat J

Post by Pat J »

Cheers for the info.
Had the switch changed at the local dealers in the end. The switch then worked spot on showing the various options on the display only then to find the ESA didn't want to work at the rear either. Ended up doing continuity checks on the wiring to discover one of the connectors was corroded so cleaned it up and now fully working ESA again.
So while all the tupperware was off we checked and cleaned all the other connectors, so hopefully no more electrical gremlins for a bit.