What do I need to look out for when buying a used R1200RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
camionero

What do I need to look out for when buying a used R1200RT

Post by camionero »

Hi everyone, I am shortly returning to biking after a very long absence due to the usual kids and lack of cash. My last bike some 18 years ago was a K100RS and i loved it, sadly it had to go, but now im looking to BMW again for my next bike. Due to age I think the next one will have to be fully faired and be more of a cruiser than bikes gone by, so it really has to be either the R1150 or the R1200RT.  After having read some horror stories about the braking system on the 1150 and the eye watering costs of fixing it, I think I will go for the 1200, which also seems to have a few troubles too. As the budget is tight (about 5000 quid) it will be an early one. So the question is simply - what apart from the obvious external things should I be looking out for? It seems drive shaft alignment can be a problem, how do I know if this has been or is likely to become a problem on the bike I buy, and what other horrors are likely to be lurking around the corner? Thanks for any advice.
Siempre en la caga solo profundidad que cambia!
guest2360

Re: What do I need to look out for when buying a used R1200RT

Post by guest2360 »

There has never been any issue with shaft drive alignment that I have ever heard of.  There was a major improvement to the braking system in early 2007 when servo braking was dropped. Just look at the overall condition ie nothing rusty or tatty and ensure its got a service history. 
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

Good luck finding one with no rust.... if my example is anything to go by, and from what I have read elsewhere, the paint on the wheels and cylinder heads is very prone to flaking and ensuing rust, and many of the bolt heads corrode easily too. It's all cosmetic though and low down, so you don't really see it in day to day use.  Switchgear is a recurring problem on RT's, so check all the switches work.  Don't forget to post a picture on here when you buy one!
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Regarding the problem with rusty fastenings and flaking powder coated surfaces.

Do you reckon it could be chemicals in some of the detergents used ???

A mate had to have new engine casings on a GS because the powder coating flaked off after about a year BUT he used to use a industrial van cleaner and a power washer.

Personally I use as little water as possible on mine and never a power washer. 
camionero

Post by camionero »

Im sure i read something about drive alignment...maybe that was the 1150, or just my age :(
Rust and poor paintwork wasnt something I had considered and is a little disappointing considering the cost of new bikes. Are BMW now using old Lucas ele trics too?
Siempre en la caga solo profundidad que cambia!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Quick point about rust.  Cylinder head covers are magnesium so Don't rust and I have never seen any corrosion on undamaged wheels and Ive seen thousands.  Rusty fasteners I put down to  lack of care.  And the cleaner never to use on any BMW is MuckOff.
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

RTman10 wrote: Quick point about rust.  Cylinder head covers are magnesium so Don't rust and I have never seen any corrosion on undamaged wheels and Ive seen thousands.  Rusty fasteners I put down to  lack of care.  And the cleaner never to use on any BMW is MuckOff.
I might not be metallurgically correct if I said 'rust', but the disease looking effect that affects the area where the cylinder head seals against the engine body is a well known problem. It makes the paint all bubble and flake off along the seal.  It's something to do with the chemical reaction of the magnesium head against the steel body I think I read somewhere.
My wheels have suffered no damage either, but on the rear many of the stems that reach up to where the brake disc attaches to the wheel, again the paint has flaked off badly in many places. I don't know if that is a common problem, I was just trying to help the OP.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: Quick point about rust.  Cylinder head covers are magnesium so Don't rust
Many other metals oxidise but the resultant oxidisation isn't referred to as rust which applies to iron or something containing iron, interestingly magnesium is actually derived from magnesium oxide as it doesn't exist naturally on it's own (like me that's why I got married a couple of months ago lol)  ;)
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

Benchmark wrote: Many other metals oxidise but the resultant oxidisation isn't referred to as rust which applies to iron or something containing iron, interestingly magnesium is actually derived from magnesium oxide as it doesn't exist naturally on it's own (like me that's why I got married a couple of months ago lol)  ;)
ha ha, love it. :enjoying:
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Congratulations Benchmark 'snap' me too, got married that is and now I am therefore I think I am as I wasn't before lol