Top Box brake light using Skene P3

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
guest3074

Top Box brake light using Skene P3

Post by guest3074 »

As I had this from the previous bike and it works with the canbus I've fitted a brake light to the topbox, but it's better than that as it performs as a side\brake light using the Skene P3 controller.

Picture shows it  on side light only  ;)

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/R1200RT.shtml
Attachments
IMG_2491.JPG
Last edited by guest3074 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Re: Top Box brake light using Skene P3

Post by Spencert231 »

Wow!! that top box looks absolutely enormous maybe it's the angle and lack of light or things in the distance give the illusion of size. Is it a 49ltr or bigger?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Spencert231 wrote: Wow!! that top box looks absolutely enormous maybe it's the angle and lack of light or things in the distance give the illusion of size. Is it a 49ltr or bigger?
No it's the new 49ltr, I suppose been double skinned with a small gap between the 2 makes it even bigger.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Does that provide better visibility than the BMW auxiliary tail light for the case?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

mercator1 wrote: Does that provide better visibility than the BMW auxiliary tail light for the case?
I've not seen the BMW one fitted so can't compare, and as my box does not have the locking option (that was an extra £150!) I can't fit the BMW light even if I wanted to pay the £130 for it which I don't  ;)

Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

My P3 Skene lights have failed after 10 months for no obvious reason. Only half of the LEDs light up and only 2 LEDs light up for braking.

I bought them from the UK supplier and have emailed them. I await their reply.

I wouldn't mind too much but they were not cheap to start with.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Benchmark wrote: As I had this from the previous bike and it works with the canbus I've fitted a brake light to the topbox, but it's better than that as it performs as a side\brake light using the Skene P3 controller.

Picture shows it  on side light only  ;)

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/R1200RT.shtml

How did you mount them in the space?  Any reason you couldn't mount 2 side by side?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

mercator1 wrote:
How did you mount them in the space?  Any reason you couldn't mount 2 side by side?
The LED's are mounted on blank that would be removed if you get the OEM light, it's only held in by a couple of screws. I only used one because when they were on my last bike people complained how bright they were  ;)
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Benchmark wrote: The LED's are mounted on blank that would be removed if you get the OEM light, it's only held in by a couple of screws. I only used one because when they were on my last bike people complained how bright they were  ;)

So you can take that blank out and drill the holes to run the Skene wires through.  I see the space is a little taller in the center.  Is there clearance for 2 P3 lights side by side?  I want them to be noticeable (or irritating).  Both achieve my goal of getting home. :)
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

mercator1 wrote:
So you can take that blank out and drill the holes to run the Skene wires through.  I see the space is a little taller in the center.  Is there clearance for 2 P3 lights side by side?  I want them to be noticeable (or irritating).  Both achieve my goal of getting home. :)
I didn't measure it to see if 2 would fit but I'm sure that they will fit, the blank comes out very easily and yes I drilled it to mount the LED unit.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

That would be a good route, since you can program the desired blinking using the Skene's.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

These would be an inexpensive, non-programmable, brake only option.  Could install 2 side by side for almost no money.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... tos&Videos
Pope

Post by Pope »

mercator1 wrote: Does that provide better visibility than the BMW auxiliary tail light for the case?
I have the BMW LEDs on my massive topbox...very bright indeed. It was a £100 option.
Last edited by Pope on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Pope,
You say you've got the big 49 l BMW top box with their brake light option fitted and all the necessary wiring therefore included. Most impressive it looks too! Therefore, why the need for the Skene P3 controller as per the comment below the photo? Did I miss something in the earlier dialogue....??
Pope

Post by Pope »

Steve F wrote: Pope,
You say you've got the big 49 l BMW top box with their brake light option fitted and all the necessary wiring therefore included. Most impressive it looks too! Therefore, why the need for the Skene P3 controller as per the comment below the photo? Did I miss something in the earlier dialogue....??
No, no skene joby involved, don't know how that sentence got there.
You can retro fit the OEM led light, as long as you have the power supply to the topbox. But will cost approx £130.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline