Washing a plastic bike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wayneosdias

Washing a plastic bike

Post by wayneosdias »

How to wash a 2015 RT? So many overlapped nooks and crannies.

Are you guys power washing or pretreating or...? How do you clean this thing?
guest2360

Re: Washing a plastic bike

Post by guest2360 »

Good soaking from a normal hosepipe, no pressure, followed by wax shampoo using a sponge and a soft small brush for all those crannies. Rinse off again with cold water. Blow dry and chamois off. Occasionally wax. I also carefully paint all fasteners with preservative wax at the start of the winter.
Followed this habit with every BMW I have owned since 1996. Never had any corrosion on any of them.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Good advice that RTman10  Definitely no power washer!!

What do you paint the fasteners with ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

BMW Transparent Wax Part no 81 22 9 400 711.  I've had it a long time so number might have changed.  400ml spray can but I use a very small water colour paint brush to apply. 
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Good soaking from a normal hosepipe, no pressure, followed by wax shampoo using a sponge and a soft small brush for all those crannies. Rinse off again with cold water. Blow dry and chamois off. Occasionally wax. I also carefully paint all fasteners with preservative wax at the start of the winter.
Followed this habit with every BMW I have owned since 1996. Never had any corrosion on any of them.

Will you wash mine too?

;)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Do same as RTman10. No power washer. Good old hose. Blow dry works wonders on drying all those hard to reach places. I treat all likely corrodible parts with ACF50 applied by brush. Wheels bodywork and screen use Poorboys Natty's Blue Wax protects and stops dirt sticking. Note this is a wax not a polish so has absolutely no abrasive properties unlike some other waxes. Nothing special really just some effort.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I recently bought some Williams F1 Dry Wash & Wax for the car.  I only used it as a wax having first washed and dried the car.  Ended with an amazing shine so as you do couldn't resist trying it on my mat grey bike.  Bike is still mat but with a slightly odd glow to it.  More importantly nothing now sticks to it.  In a recent 1500 mile trip round Scotland when you would expect a good build up of brake dust on the rims there was next to nothing. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well waxed wheels do stay a lot cleaner and when they do get dirty the dirt just washes off so easily. I have found that using the wax on the front of the bike makes getting splatted bugs off easier too. A proper wax has no abrasive properties unlike a polish so is safe to use on plastic. A wax cannot scratch anything its just a protective layer.
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

great tip on coating the fasteners
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I'm no detailing expert, but I rinse off with hose, spray down with S100 in all the nooks and crannies, then wash with a good quality liquid car wash and soft sponge.  Blow dry and then Plexus the screen.