Brake fault warning

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Highlandbear

Brake fault warning

Post by Highlandbear »

Just bought aR1200RT after a long break from it all, all well with the new machine except when I start it comes up on dash "brake fault" goes out after short time after starting to drive brakes work fine ABS fitted
Is this normal ?
Dave F
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Brake fault warning

Post by David. »

Yes, what year is the bike.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

That sounds like the normal mode of operation, ie ABS and brake fail lights illuminate, steady flash, then extinguish when you ride off at approx 5mph......??? Apologies if that sounds like I'm stating the obvious - not intentional.
Highlandbear

Post by Highlandbear »

It's a 2006 model , no warning lights on just word brake fault in red letters

Dave F
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at the 2006 Rider's Manual, there are 2 versions of the ABS Warning light, one as described with the words "brake failure" & the other a circle with an ! in it, surrounded by what would appear to be drum brake shoes (O).

When the ABS Warning Light flashes,
"The ABS function is not available, because self-diagnosis did not complete. The motorcycle has to move forward a few metres for the wheel sensors to be tested.
Pull away slowly. Bear in mind that the ABS function is not available until self-diagnosis has completed."
Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your bike has Servo brakes.  You need to hold the brake lever on when you start the engine. When you squeeze the brake lever when the bike is running you will hear the servo.  If you don't you only have residual braking, which is  not a lot.  All lights and symbols should go out once you pull away.    If any if this isn't happening you have a serious brake failure.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Starting engine

Kill switch in run position.
Switch on the ignition.
Pre-ride check is performed.
ABS self-diagnosis is performed.
Press starter button.

(Taken from pages 80 & 81 of the 2006 Rider's Manual).
Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

On Servo bikes the brake lever must be held on to activate it.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

2004 Rider's Manual

"If you switch on the ignition while the brakes are applied, then start the engine and ride off immediately, the BMW Integral ABS remains in its residual braking function mode. Self-diagnosis is performed as soon as the brake levers are in their fully released positions for the first time. Until this completes the ABS function is not available; the same applies to power assistance for the brakes. Wait for ABS self-diagnosis to complete before you start the engine."
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: 2004 Rider's Manual
"If you switch on the ignition while the brakes are applied, then start the engine and ride off immediately, the BMW Integral ABS remains in its residual braking function mode. Self-diagnosis is performed as soon as the brake levers are in their fully released positions for the first time. Until this completes the ABS function is not available; the same applies to power assistance for the brakes. Wait for ABS self-diagnosis to complete before you start the engine."

The 2005 and 2006 bikes were fitted with electro servo units.  I owned one for 2 years.  After you switched on the ignition but before you pressed the starter the brake lever had to be depressed.  If you didn't the servo did not fire up. Its nearly 10 years ago now but I'm  sure that was the procedure.
Must be someone who had one now who can explain exactly how they start theirs.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at the 2005 Rider's Manual, it suggests that the ABS Self-diagnosis check which is performed with the ignition switched on & brake levers released,
activates both the ABS function & power assistance for the brakes (Servo).

No mention of holding the brake lever when hitting the start button.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Come in Servo owners.  Please shut this one down.
Budman

Post by Budman »

Not taking one side or the other but when I had that damn noisy thing I would start the bike, wait till all the lights stopped flashing except the brake fail light and then just go. Never held the brake lever, just gave it a second or two  to get through its gyrations. 

I dont remember doing anything else special. It was a good bike, I just didnt like the servo noise, or the thought that if it went out I was essentially screwed.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Must be old age catching up. Budman is correct. I have it the wrong way round. If you touch the lever before it sets it won't Back to sleep
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.